REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Bypass Results

John Dibble via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Sun Mar 22 10:52:45 CDT 2015


Brian,

What bypass pressure are you operating at?

Thanks,

John

On 3/21/2015 7:55 PM, Brian Michalk via Reflector wrote:
> Good news!
>
> I am so excited about the results today.  I mounted the new bypass 
> assembly, and set the bypass pressure by first pulling the prop 
> through by hand, then with the starter, then running the engine. I 
> still have it set too high, and will fix that before the next run.
>
> Unfortunately, I did not turn on the Autronic which logs oil 
> temperature, but I do have pressure and flow data.
> FYI, the left axis is logarithmic.
>
> I am very pleased with these results.  I ran the engine on the ground 
> until the CHT's got to redline, and you can see that as the oil warmed 
> up, the more it flowed.  At the end, we ran close to 2000 RPM, and got 
> the oil flow up to six gallons per minute, which is now on the 
> performance specification charts for our oil cooler.  This is 
> definitely a success.
> I'll probably machine one more unit to remove the last final problems 
> I've found, but they are not critical.  I can certainly fly with this 
> unit, and hope to get some flight time in a week or two after I 
> complete my annual.
>
>
>
> Here is a flight from last week.  This is the fourth vortex generator 
> flight with the engine hot.  The oil flow never got up to 3 gallons 
> per minute.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150322/5fc537c8/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/png
Size: 76874 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150322/5fc537c8/attachment-0002.png>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/png
Size: 90513 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150322/5fc537c8/attachment-0003.png>


More information about the Reflector mailing list