REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Bypass Results

Grover McNair via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Sun Mar 22 08:09:46 CDT 2015


Brian, 
These are impressive results! Please put me on your list for one of your bypass assemblies. You have done what I have been thinking about for several years. Kudos!!!
N832AB is in annual right now and I would really like to have one as soon as possible.
Grover McNair

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 21, 2015, at 8:55 PM, Brian Michalk via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:
> 
> Good news!
> 
> I am so excited about the results today.  I mounted the new bypass assembly, and set the bypass pressure by first pulling the prop through by hand, then with the starter, then running the engine.  I still have it set too high, and will fix that before the next run.
> 
> Unfortunately, I did not turn on the Autronic which logs oil temperature, but I do have pressure and flow data.
> FYI, the left axis is logarithmic.
> 
> I am very pleased with these results.  I ran the engine on the ground until the CHT's got to redline, and you can see that as the oil warmed up, the more it flowed.  At the end, we ran close to 2000 RPM, and got the oil flow up to six gallons per minute, which is now on the performance specification charts for our oil cooler.  This is definitely a success.
> I'll probably machine one more unit to remove the last final problems I've found, but they are not critical.  I can certainly fly with this unit, and hope to get some flight time in a week or two after I complete my annual.
> 
> <gadcghcd.png>
> 
> Here is a flight from last week.  This is the fourth vortex generator flight with the engine hot.  The oil flow never got up to 3 gallons per minute.
> 
> <fgicfbig.png>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list