REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Bypass Results

Brian Michalk via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Sun Mar 22 11:05:38 CDT 2015


This data shows my pressure hovering just below 100PSI.  Redline is 
55PSI minimum, 80PSI maximum.

I believe I'll put my set point at 65PSI and see what happens under 
various operating conditions.  Of concern is cold start up, and hot 
idle.  Hot idle minimum is 25PSI.  However, once the valve is closed, 
there's no way to increase pressure.  It's limited by the volume of the 
pump, and the looseness of the engine.  This means that any pressure 
below the set point is not caused by the bypass valve.



On 03/22/2015 10:52 AM, John Dibble via Reflector wrote:
> Brian,
>
> What bypass pressure are you operating at?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> On 3/21/2015 7:55 PM, Brian Michalk via Reflector wrote:
>> Good news!
>>
>> I am so excited about the results today.  I mounted the new bypass 
>> assembly, and set the bypass pressure by first pulling the prop 
>> through by hand, then with the starter, then running the engine.  I 
>> still have it set too high, and will fix that before the next run.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I did not turn on the Autronic which logs oil 
>> temperature, but I do have pressure and flow data.
>> FYI, the left axis is logarithmic.
>>
>> I am very pleased with these results.  I ran the engine on the ground 
>> until the CHT's got to redline, and you can see that as the oil 
>> warmed up, the more it flowed.  At the end, we ran close to 2000 RPM, 
>> and got the oil flow up to six gallons per minute, which is now on 
>> the performance specification charts for our oil cooler.  This is 
>> definitely a success.
>> I'll probably machine one more unit to remove the last final problems 
>> I've found, but they are not critical.  I can certainly fly with this 
>> unit, and hope to get some flight time in a week or two after I 
>> complete my annual.
>>
>>
>>
>> Here is a flight from last week.  This is the fourth vortex generator 
>> flight with the engine hot.  The oil flow never got up to 3 gallons 
>> per minute.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> <http://www.avast.com/> 	
>
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> www.avast.com <http://www.avast.com/>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150322/9267af19/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/png
Size: 76874 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150322/9267af19/attachment-0002.png>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/png
Size: 90513 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150322/9267af19/attachment-0003.png>


More information about the Reflector mailing list