REFLECTOR: engine break in

Richard J. Gentil richard at naples-air-center.com
Sun Jul 28 16:05:44 CDT 2013


Hi Lou,

I recommend low altitude 75% power for the first hour and then vary the RPM 100 RPM every 15 minutes after that. Run that was until you stop having oil consumption. I would figure 15 hours would do it. (Initial break-in of an overhauled engine I would run the mineral oil 50 hours). 

The Phillips 66 mineral oil is what I carry in my FAR-145 Repair Station for the 23 aircraft I have in my flight school as well as the 300 aircraft we service on the field. 

We are part of the factory fleet program with Lycoming for our flight school and we run TBO plus 20% on our engines without replacing cylinders or having parts rejected by Lycoming on the next overhaul. 

Richard 

Sent from my iPhone 5

On Jul 27, 2013, at 11:32 PM, "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I just had all four cylinders on my o-360 milled out 10/1000 and new pistons and rings. The engine only had 400 hours on it since major. One guy tells me to run my normal oil. Another tells me to run mineral oil. Another tells me to run mineral oil for ten hours and then go back to regular oil. Little confusing. I would welcome thoughts from the group.  Thanks
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130728/6ef2de4c/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list