REFLECTOR: Elite FG nose pant speed?
Karl J. Warner
karljwarnerpa at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 23 11:19:59 CDT 2012
I have the same pant as Andy. One interesting phenomena ~ when the factory was flying the airplane (202va) they noticed a strange vibration coming from the front of the airplane that could not be identified. Someone flew the XL-5 "child's play" under and around and found that with the front pant on the wheel was spinning at a pretty good clip in the slipstream. The cheep fix was a rubber "mudflap" attached to the pant that touches the tire so after rotation this friction would stop the wheel from spinning. Every annual I put a new "mudflap" on for this reason.
Karl
On Apr 23, 2012, at 11:49 AM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:
> From: Andrew Judge <ajudge at grovenetworks.com>
> Date: April 23, 2012 9:51:54 AM EDT
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Elite FG nose pant speed?
> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>
>
> My first, it fell off after a nose bump at about 35 hours. I suppose it was not on good enough in 1998. The second was the worst, it cause crazy shimmy. Scared the daylights out of me. I removed that one ASAP.
>
> I was at the factory for a bunch of work and had them do the 3rd pair. That pair is the one I have on there now with 300+ hours. 3 times a charm I suppose. I don’t have any pictures other than the one on flightaware.com under N55AJ. If I get out to the airport soon, I can take one, but it’s the standard used by the factory.
>
> Andy
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Mark Magee
> Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 7:47 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Cc: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Elite FG nose pant speed?
>
> Andy,
> Would you post a pic and give some background on the nose pant that is working so well?
> Thanks
>
> Mark B. Magee
> Sent from IPhone 4
>
> On Apr 22, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Andrew Judge <ajudge at grovenetworks.com> wrote:
>
> I see maybe 3 kts? It's my 3rd set and this one works well without problems. I've had shimmy on my second pair. I typically always fly with it on now. I maybe have 300 hours on this pair.
>
> Andy
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] on behalf of Dennis Martin [dennis.doc at gmail.com]
> Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:07 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Elite FG nose pant speed?
>
> No wheel pant for me, either. To compensate I went "chrome." Simply smooth the fork with coarse-to-fine grades of sand paper, and then put it on a buffing wheel. Shines like the top of the Chrysler building. Spray a little lacquer and it will stay shiny for a long time.
>
> Dennis
>
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 8:07 AM, <gstull at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I saw absolutely no speed difference with or without the nose wheel pant on my Velo 173FG. The problem I was having was occasionally in a crosswind takeoff, the nosewheel would be canted to the side. With the wheel pant it acted as a rudder and required substantial pedal to counter act. The first time it happened it took me by surprise. It has never happened again since I removed the nosewheel pant. I'm much more content knowing I won't have to go around and land again to straighten out the nose wheel.
> ---- Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net> wrote:
> > Hi all
> > Does anyone know if putting on the nose wheel pant will have any speed increase or ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kevin Baker
> >
> > .
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> --
> All the best,
> Dennis
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120423/9ef6adfe/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list