REFLECTOR: Velocity 20B update

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Nov 1 23:41:06 CST 2006


Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity 20B update

 

Is your need for more down elevator based on running out of trim, or is the
elevator at the max up position?  More trim can be obtained by reversing the
sparrow strainer.  That might be preferred over shortening the canard. 
John 

 

John;

 

Elevator is not at max up position, but I do run out of trim, at about 170
KIAS.  Faster than that the trailing edge is up 1 ½” or more, and that is
just a bit much.  Also, at the low end the canard is stalling (gear down) at
75-80 kts, meaning landing speed is 90+, and end up with only about ½”
trailing edge down on landing.  I can trim the elevator full trailing edge
down (on the ground), but not full up – so I am going to put a block between
trim spring and the torque tube bracket for more trim up

 

I’d thought about reversing the sparrow strainer, but I’m concerned about
making it more pitch sensitive.  Steve Murphree is suggesting I should put
on a larger sparrow strainer.  I need to fly some more and sort this out a
bit further before taking a saw to the canard.

 

Al

Al Gietzen wrote: 

Just to let you know that flight testing is continuing, and we’ve just
passed 15 hours of flight time.  Overall, the plane and engine are doing
fine.  Things are trimmed out now for straight and true handling (and even
fuel flow from both tanks).  The remaining issue is too much canard, even
after reducing incidence by a bit over 1 degree.  The consensus of the
experts (Scott, Scott, and Alan Shaw) is to shorten the canard (cut about 4”
sections out of both sides).  Ouch!  Probably going to also add some vg’s on
the wings forward of the ailerons which could help at the low speed end, but
will not help the need for too much down elevator (trailing edge up) when I
get to about 175 KIAS.

There must be lots of Wingco canards flying.  Am I the only one with this
issue?  Wondering if my ‘leading edge extensions’ on the strake (a la
Long-EZ); http://members.cox.net/alg3/airplane.htm, might be adding a bit of
lift under the strake forward of the normal center of lift. 

I’ll have to add I am very pleased with the operation of the 3–rotor rotary
engine – in spite of few minor glitches still with the ECU.  It starts
easily hot or cold, runs smooth, plenty of power, and easy one-lever
operation. Haven’t established top end yet, but did get up to about 205 KTAS
(175 KIAS at DA of close to 10,000 ft).  After gear up on takeoff the VSI
strip pegs out at 1000 fpm with close to 2100 # total weight. If you want
fast descent; gear down, power off (no worries about shock cooling), and
push both rudders out. Nice high controlled sink rate. 

Oh, yeah, and I’m now able to fly the plane myself after some good checkout
help from Steve Murphree. 

Lots of work and testing left to do. 

BTW, in chatting with Alan I learned he is back in operation with some
military contracts, and back to finishing some redesign on the Atlantica
with plans for constructing again at some point.  Good news.  You have to
admire tenacity and innovation. 

Al 

 





  _____  



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>  
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061101/6e63eefa/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list