REFLECTOR: thicker stainless cutting

matt mbuc310 at cox.net
Wed Aug 30 15:22:06 CDT 2006


Kurt, I helped Kevin Steiner on his stainless sheet. We used a Roto Zip with
metal cutting disks. I know we ran 1 all the way to nothing. The disk is
cheap and the noise was deafening! Wear a dust mask or better. Had fun
though. Just take your time and it won't run off your line
Did a real nice job of cutting.
Matt
Scottsdale, AZ  (The Stinking Desert)


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:34:01 -0500
From: David Scharfenberg <dave at winco.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nomex/Stainless
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <decc2d82dda876025a85204729631c00 at winco.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Kurt

    Mine came the same way.  It looked really bad.  I ended up peeling
the stainless steel layer off, flattening it and re-glueing.  I don't
remember what kind of glue that I used, but it turned out pretty good.
I used RTV around the edges.  I agree that thicker SS would look better
though.

Dave Scharfenberg



On Aug 30, 2006, at 9:57 AM, NMFlyer1 at aol.com wrote:

> Well I have to say I am very dissapointed. I just pulled the
> stainless/nomex out of the factory box and it looks terrible!? It is
> all wrinkled up and delaminating from the nomex. There is no way I'd
> put that on my firewall. It has been in the box, protected and sitting
> behind a cabinet since it came from the factory, so it was Well
> protected.
> ?
> Guess I'll look for some thicker stainless here in town, and find some
> fiberfrax or other heat insulator and start from scratch.
> ?
> Kind a=of a bummer, this stuff wasnt cheap either!
> ?
> Kurt Winker_______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------

I called around and found some thicker stainless that I can use. I think
I'll
use the original fiberfrax or nomex or whatever it is that came with my kit
and use the new thicker stainless.

Now I just have to figure out how to cut it without wearing out every sharp
thing I own :)

Then it will look good and be functional as well.

Kurt



More information about the Reflector mailing list