REFLECTOR: Threaded hole strength
Greg Poole
gpoole at zeta.org.au
Thu Jul 21 17:20:17 CDT 2005
Um, Jack ...thought you said your hatch opens from the rear? I thought you
meant like the British Triumph sedans do but your picture (plane looks very
nice) shows it pivoting from the rear and opening from the front. How is
it/can it be then held closed in flight?
Greg in Sydney
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Jack Sheehan
Sent: Friday, 22 July 2005 3:34 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Threaded hole strength
Darrell,
I don't know what really big hatch (RBH) you are building there are a
few versions. Here is the one I have. This was my prefered opening
but as i was building I started to get concerned about the opening in
flight and I like you did not want any external screws etc. I dont
have any good photo's but what I did was make the hatch open from the
rear . like a british auto bonnet . That way it would be held down in
flight. The cover pivots on an axle which is glasssed under each side
of the opening the axle can slide enough so the cover can be either
just opened like a hood or totally removed. Hard to explain but if
you are using the same RBH you may be interested.
Oh by the way this is really neat but way too much work to remove a
few screws. Having done all of this I think the removable dog house
with piano hinges inside is probably the best set up I have seen. The
reality is I don't need to get in behind the instrument panel or on
top of the canard very often.
--
Jack Sheehan
Executive Director
National Consortium for Aviation Mobility (NCAM)
Visit the following sites
http://www.ncam-sats.org, http://www.sats2005.com, http://sats.nasa.gov
More information about the Reflector
mailing list