REFLECTOR: Threaded hole strength

Jack Sheehan j.f.sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 22 10:13:29 CDT 2005


Greg,
Sorry for the confusion. My RBH does now open from the rear similar 
to the bonnet on my e-type Jaguar. the photo was only to show how 
large the hatch is this was a photo taken during construction. 
Opening from the front would have been better for access but a 
possible hazard in flight. The hatch cover pivots on an axle such 
that the front goes down as the rear comes up.I made a lip by having 
the hatch in place and putting a layer of glass over the front edge. 
I will get some pictures and post them. The hatch is fixed pined to 
the pivot axle and has spring loaded laches at the rear. The spring 
latches are operater by cables run thru glassed tubes under the cover 
to a ring which can be reached and pulled from the nose wheel 
opening. I also have a safety strap which is attached and connected 
under the instrument panel. I was not real sure about the plastic 
latches or what the hatch would do if it opened. Still not sure but 
don't want to do that test.
-- 
Jack Sheehan
Executive Director
National Consortium for Aviation Mobility (NCAM)
Visit the following sites
http://www.ncam-sats.org, http://www.sats2005.com, http://sats.nasa.gov


More information about the Reflector mailing list