REFLECTOR:Minor pucker factor on 2nd test flight

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 16 May 2004 13:19:46 -0600


Dennis,

at 1700 rpm I get a 50-75 rpm drop.

I'll try it a full power at altitude next flight and see what happens.

Scott

At 11:30 AM 5/16/2004, you wrote:

>Scott
>
>I had the Rose EI on my bird until I took it off because of the 
>supercharger.  When I did my mag checks, I never got more than a 100-125 
>RPM drop when I turned off the EI.  But that was at 1800 RPM.  You may 
>want to run yours up to full power and see what your drop is when you turn 
>off the EI.  450 RPM sounds like a large drop.
>
>Dennis
>
>
>
>
> >From: Scott Derrick <scott@tnstaafl.net>
> >Reply-To: reflector@tvbf.org
> >To: reflector@tvbf.org
> >Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Minor pucker factor on 2nd test flight
> >Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 07:03:49 -0600
> >
> >My wag is that when I raised the gear, the loose battery connection
> >caused the voltage to drop, this would cause the EI to draw more
> >current to compensate and the higher current draw blew the
> >auto-reset-breaker.  The breaker cooled off in about a minute and
> >reset it self, and the EI came back on line.
> >
> >Scott
> >
> >At 10:47 PM 5/15/2004, you wrote:
> >
> >
> >>Scott.
> >>
> >>Glad things worked out for you.  Now..Maybe I missed something (and
> >>I have from time to time.) But how did the loose battery cable
> >>cause you to lose 450 RPM.
> >>
> >>I had a simular incident happen to me and it turned out to be the
> >>induction tube collapse. That was when I was expermenting with a
> >>supercharger.
> >>
> >>Dennis
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> >From: Scott Derrick <scott@tnstaafl.net>
> >> >Reply-To: reflector@tvbf.org
> >> >To: reflector@tvbf.org, Canards@tnstaafl.net
> >> >Subject: REFLECTOR:Minor pucker factor on 2nd test flight
> >> >Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 11:05:06 -0600
> >> >
> >> >Lessons learned...
> >> >
> >> >Went to the airport this morning for flight #2 after major repair
> >>of
> >> >nose up gear landing incident.
> >> >
> >> >Nice cool morning.  This test was to see how the oil cooler
> >>worked
> >> >without the outlet inverse scoop.  It was ground off during the
> >>gear
> >> >up and the factory said many folks were not installing the outlet
> >> >scoop, so the outlet is flush with the fuselage, which looks a
> >>lot
> >> >better.  And I don't have to fabricate one..
> >> >
> >> >Unhangered, preflight, warmup, runup, all normal.
> >> >
> >> >Back taxied to 31, wind calm and cool,  fire walled her and RPM
> >>came
> >> >up to 2350, nice,  rotated at 65, climbing at 80, 85,  400 ft agl
> >> >hit the gear up switch, about 2 seconds later rpm drops to
> >>1900!!!
> >> >Oh, now this gets your attention!  Still smooth but what a power
> >> >loss.  Push the nose over to maintain airspeed and start thinking
> >> >about  that obanded carrot field strait ahead.  Turn on boost
> >>pump
> >> >no change, full rich no change.  Lean a little no change.  Decide
> >>to
> >> >stop gear retraction and put it back down.  I'm still climbing
> >> >slowly and start a slow turn 45 degrees to the right in
> >>anticipation
> >> >of a quick left 225 degree turn for a landing on 13 if power
> >> >degrades any further.  EGT and CHT's are all roughly the same...
> >> >Suddenly full power returns,  what a good feeling.  I make a
> >>steep
> >> >225 degree left turn, line up on 13 and land...
> >> >
> >> >Taxied to the FBO and me and Wes(Friend, FBO owner, A&P, IA)
> >>listen
> >> >to a full power mag check, sounds fine??  Then I remember, the
> >>power
> >> >dropped during gear retraction and returned after I put it back
> >> >down... Hmm... drop in voltage or surge, possibly lost the EI?
> >> >
> >> >I taxied back to the hanger, pulled the nose hatch.  wires to
> >>EI's
> >> >breaker were OK.  Wires to battery were loose. Not loose as in
> >> >floppy but not tight..  I had installed a new Oddysey  battery
> >>last
> >> >week and obviously I had not tightened them up properly.  Tighten
> >> >battery cables.
> >> >
> >> >Taxied back to runway, take off normal, wait until pattern
> >>altitude
> >> >to retract gear, no problem. Cycled gear 3 times, not a burble..
> >> >
> >> >Now for oil cooler testing.....
> >> >
> >> >Scott
> >> >
> >> >BTW, Oil temps were in the green, 205 in climb to 10,500 and 195
> >>in
> >> >cruise at max RPM 2700.
> >> >
> >> >"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> >> >- Benjamin Franklin
> >> >
> >> >_______________________________________________
> >> >To change your email address, visit
> >> >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >> >
> >> >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> >Check old archives:
> >> >http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >>
> >>----------
> >><http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2731??PS=47575>MSN Toolbar provides
> >>one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download!
> >>_______________________________________________ To change your
> >>email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw =
> >>tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check
> >>old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> >
> >"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> >- Benjamin Franklin
> >
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >To change your email address, visit
> >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >Check old archives:
> >http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>----------
><http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2734??PS=47575>FREE pop-up blocking with the 
>new MSN Toolbar – get it now! 
>_______________________________________________ To change your email 
>address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the 
>gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new 
>archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin