REFLECTOR:Minor pucker factor on 2nd test flight

Dennis Huntington reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 16 May 2004 17:30:19 +0000


<html><div style='background-color:'><DIV class=RTE>
<P>Scott</P>
<P>I had the Rose EI on my bird until I took it off because of the supercharger.&nbsp; When I did my mag checks, I never got more than a 100-125 RPM drop when I turned off the EI.&nbsp; But that was at 1800 RPM.&nbsp; You may want to run yours up to full power and see what your drop is when you turn off the EI.&nbsp; 450 RPM sounds like a large drop.</P>
<P>Dennis</P>
<P><BR><BR>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Scott Derrick &lt;scott@tnstaafl.net&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: reflector@tvbf.org 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: reflector@tvbf.org 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Minor pucker factor on 2nd test flight 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 07:03:49 -0600 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;My wag is that when I raised the gear, the loose battery connection 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;caused the voltage to drop, this would cause the EI to draw more 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;current to compensate and the higher current draw blew the 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;auto-reset-breaker.&nbsp;&nbsp;The breaker cooled off in about a minute and 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;reset it self, and the EI came back on line. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Scott 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;At 10:47 PM 5/15/2004, you wrote: 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;Scott. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;Glad things worked out for you.&nbsp;&nbsp;Now..Maybe I missed something (and 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;I have from time to time.) But how did the loose battery cable 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;cause you to lose 450 RPM. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;I had a simular incident happen to me and it turned out to be the 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;induction tube collapse. That was when I was expermenting with a 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;supercharger. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;Dennis 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;From: Scott Derrick &lt;scott@tnstaafl.net&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Reply-To: reflector@tvbf.org 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;To: reflector@tvbf.org, Canards@tnstaafl.net 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Subject: REFLECTOR:Minor pucker factor on 2nd test flight 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 11:05:06 -0600 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Lessons learned... 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Went to the airport this morning for flight #2 after major repair 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;of 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;nose up gear landing incident. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Nice cool morning.&nbsp;&nbsp;This test was to see how the oil cooler 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;worked 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;without the outlet inverse scoop.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was ground off during the 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;gear 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;up and the factory said many folks were not installing the outlet 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;scoop, so the outlet is flush with the fuselage, which looks a 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;lot 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;better.&nbsp;&nbsp;And I don't have to fabricate one.. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Unhangered, preflight, warmup, runup, all normal. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Back taxied to 31, wind calm and cool,&nbsp;&nbsp;fire walled her and RPM 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;came 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;up to 2350, nice,&nbsp;&nbsp;rotated at 65, climbing at 80, 85,&nbsp;&nbsp;400 ft agl 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;hit the gear up switch, about 2 seconds later rpm drops to 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;1900!!! 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Oh, now this gets your attention!&nbsp;&nbsp;Still smooth but what a power 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;loss.&nbsp;&nbsp;Push the nose over to maintain airspeed and start thinking 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;about&nbsp;&nbsp;that obanded carrot field strait ahead.&nbsp;&nbsp;Turn on boost 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;pump 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;no change, full rich no change.&nbsp;&nbsp;Lean a little no change.&nbsp;&nbsp;Decide 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;to 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;stop gear retraction and put it back down.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm still climbing 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;slowly and start a slow turn 45 degrees to the right in 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;anticipation 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;of a quick left 225 degree turn for a landing on 13 if power 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;degrades any further.&nbsp;&nbsp;EGT and CHT's are all roughly the same... 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Suddenly full power returns,&nbsp;&nbsp;what a good feeling.&nbsp;&nbsp;I make a 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;steep 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;225 degree left turn, line up on 13 and land... 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Taxied to the FBO and me and Wes(Friend, FBO owner, A&amp;P, IA)&nbsp;&nbsp; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;listen 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;to a full power mag check, sounds fine??&nbsp;&nbsp;Then I remember, the 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;power 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;dropped during gear retraction and returned after I put it back 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;down... Hmm... drop in voltage or surge, possibly lost the EI? 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;I taxied back to the hanger, pulled the nose hatch.&nbsp;&nbsp;wires to 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;EI's 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;breaker were OK.&nbsp;&nbsp;Wires to battery were loose. Not loose as in 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;floppy but not tight..&nbsp;&nbsp;I had installed a new Oddysey&nbsp;&nbsp;battery 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;last 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;week and obviously I had not tightened them up properly.&nbsp;&nbsp;Tighten 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;battery cables. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Taxied back to runway, take off normal, wait until pattern 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;altitude 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;to retract gear, no problem. Cycled gear 3 times, not a burble.. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Now for oil cooler testing..... 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Scott 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;BTW, Oil temps were in the green, 205 in climb to 10,500 and 195 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;in 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;cruise at max RPM 2700. 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither." 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;- Benjamin Franklin 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;_______________________________________________ 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;To change your email address, visit 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Visit the gallery!&nbsp;&nbsp;www.tvbf.org/gallery 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;Check old archives: 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; &gt;http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;---------- 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;&lt;http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2731??PS=47575&gt;MSN Toolbar provides 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;_______________________________________________ To change your 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&gt;old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither." 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;- Benjamin Franklin 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;_______________________________________________ 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To change your email address, visit 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Visit the gallery!&nbsp;&nbsp;www.tvbf.org/gallery 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Check old archives: 
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
<DIV></DIV></div><br clear=all><hr> <a href="http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2734??PS=47575">FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now!</a> </html>