REFLECTOR:Franklin fuel pumps

mike deeter reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:08:25 -0800 (PST)


Dan,

My experience on a couple of your points:

1.  I have 2 Slick mags and they seem to work well. 
The biggest problem is that when the engine is mounted
the mag-spark plug wires are essentially crushed
against the firewall.  I initially didn't like that so
I shimmed the whole engine mount 1/4" away from the
firewall.  In retrospect, I think I may have just been
careless in arranging the spark plug wires and could
have gotten away with not doing that.  Look and see
when you mount your engine.

2.  I went thru the whole fuel pump problem.  First,
check to see whether Franklin owes the previous owner
a new fuel pump.  PZL sent me one for free.  It works
great....however, then they said there was a metal
hardness mismatch between the new gear on the pump and
the internal engine gears.  At least I think that's
what their Polish-translated-to-English meant.  The
fix was to press the gear off the old, membrane-type
pump and swap it out with the gear on the new,
vane-type pump.  It sounds tough but easy and quick
for someone who knows what he's doing (I got help). 
The new vane-type pump with the old gear works great. 
All in all, my fuel pump problems seem solved.  By the
way, it's close but I can change the fuel pump w/o
needing extra room.  At first I thought I needed more
clearance so I lifted the engine and loosened the
bolts mounting it to the firewall.  Remembering my
1/4" shims, your experience may be different.  In any
case, that's not hard since you don't have to
disconnect anything; just a little loosening for sag
room but a potential hassle.

Mike Deeter
Std RGE w/ Franklin/Ivo


--- Dan Fast <onefastvelocity@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Brian thanks for responding to my post, Why do you
> have 2? Why are you selling them? and how much do
> you
> want? Thanks Dan--- Brian Michalk <michalk@awpi.com>
> wrote:
> > I have two new Franklin fuel pumps for sale.  I'm
> > talking about the new vane
> > pumps that replace the old bellows pump.
> > 
> >  Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
> > Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had
> > done something.
> > Aviator, experimental aircraft builder,
> > motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
> > musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and barely
> > single
> > 
> > 
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
> > [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> > > Behalf Of Dan Fast
> > > Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 7:42 AM
> > > To: reflector@tvbf.org
> > > Subject: REFLECTOR:Franklin Questions
> > >
> > >
> > >  I have just purchased a Franklin from a fellow
> > > Velocity owner (Thanks for the great deal Kevin
> > Baker)
> > >  And I have a bunch of questions:
> > >  1) Is anyone using Ellison TBI? With what
> > success?
> > >  2) What Mag is better for the Franklin?
> > >  3) What electronic ign is being used? and is
> > anyone
> > > using dual electronic?
> > >  4) I know there was a Mech fuel pump problem,
> > what
> > > pump is everyone using now?
> > >  5) I would also appreciate any advice on
> > Installation
> > > problems you may have encountered and how to
> > rectify
> > >
> > >  Thanks Dan
> > >  SERG
> > >
> > >
> > > __________________________________
> > > Do you Yahoo!?
> > > Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing
> > online.
> > > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > To change your email address, visit
> > > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > >
> > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > Check old archives:
> >
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > >
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > 
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> __________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing
> online.
> http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



=====
*******************************************
Mike Deeter
N2011 Test Pilot
iguanamagic@yahoo.com
http://iguanamagic.siegesmund.org
*******************************************

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.
http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html