REFLECTOR:Presidential TFR
Scott Baker
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:15:37 -0400
When Scott and I were flying N271TC from Copperstate back to Florida, I
spoke with FSS briefers to get all of the important TFR information relating
to our trip. Our route took us to the north of the inner ring of the
Presidential TFR in Texas, but inside of the "big" ring (which is activated
when GW is home on the ranch). The FSS briefer said that the "big" ring was
not active, but to "be sure to ask ATC again when you get closer ... you
never know when it might become active". Being a good boy, I called ... (is
it Waco Approach??) ATC when we just entered the "big" ring and asked if
there were any changes to the TFR. The approach controller ripped into me
with a lecture about the importance of getting a ground briefing and that I
was (fill in all sorts of terrible words) for asking about the status of a
TFR when the aircraft had (by the time I completed my transmission) just
penetrated the TFR airspace. I didn't reply that a) I had received a
briefing 3-hours ago, and b) I was simply following through with what the
FSS briefer asked me to do ... call again just to make sure. I guess ATC
and the Secret Service take Presidential TFR's pretty seriously. Gwad,
that's a big hunk of Texas that's put out of air circulation when the big
ring is activated. How do y'all work around it?
SB