REFLECTOR:lights

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:44:21 -0400


This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42625.2EDBB970
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="windows-1252"

Retract.  The lights will be powered by a circuit tied to the the oil
pressure and landing gear switches.  I have to have both, oil pressure and
landing gear down, for the lights to energize.
 
Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
Robin Ream
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 10:22 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:lights 


Are you mounting those on a fixed gear or a retract?
 
Robin

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chuck  <mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com> Jensen 
To: 'reflector@tvbf.org' <mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'>  
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 10:30 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:lights 

I'm installing twin rectangular Xenon driving lights by mounting them as a
sandwich on both sides of the nose gear.  I decided to do something because
I could never find a good place to store the white cane that I needed for
taxiing at night.  They're a tiny fraction of the cost of the "aviation"
lights (under $100), but don't know how they work yet.  Will post when I
know.
 
Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
NMFlyer1@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 9:53 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:lights 


I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed my glass
work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can be hard to see
when taxiing around the Airpark where I live and wanted something a little
better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi bulb idea and I put that
in my system... but there could be additional light.
I am considering a  HID light for the main light. 
 
Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they won't even
return calls or E-mails regarding the product.  I do like the 17-degree
option they offer though. 
HID  <http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm> Boom Beam
Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing taxi recognition
 
 
Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price (still expensive),
and I plan on calling them regarding the best "intermediate" system. 
HID Xenon arc discharge  <http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/> aircraft landing,
taxi and work lights
 
The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are: 
     The much lower current draw will eliminate the need for a landing light
relay, and 
     Give the system back about 4 amps. 
 
    Less heat, much more light!! and a much longer bulb life. 
 
I did an experiment with the landing light in the V.   I placed the light at
the correct height on a pushcart, and at the same angle as in the airplane.
I pointed it down the road at night and looked at the pattern and distance.
The pattern was pretty small, and provided fairly good light Wayyyyy down
there...in a small circle.  I then put the halogen bulb (aircraft)
replacement for the 4509 on the stand and tried again. There was a little
more light, slightly brighter at the target, but still a small pattern. 
I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... but nothing
spectacular. 
 
Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is traffic in the
area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark when you taxi
on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!! 
 
Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID lights? 
 
Kurt Winker. 


------_=_NextPart_001_01C42625.2EDBB970
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="windows-1252"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">


<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" 
bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=218233515-19042004>Retract.&nbsp; The lights will be powered by 
a circuit tied to the the oil pressure and landing gear switches.&nbsp; I have 
to have both, oil pressure and landing gear down, for the lights to 
energize.</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=218233515-19042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=218233515-19042004>Chuck</SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT 
  face=Tahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> 
  reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of 
  </B>Robin Ream<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 10:22 AM<BR><B>To:</B> 
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:lights 
  <BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Are you mounting those on a fixed 
  gear or a retract?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Robin</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
  style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV 
    style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
    <A title=cjensen@dts9000.com href="mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck 
    Jensen</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=reflector@tvbf.org 
    href="mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 10:30 
    AM</DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:lights </DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=781072015-19042004>I'm installing twin 
    rectangular&nbsp;Xenon driving lights by mounting them as a sandwich on both 
    sides of the nose gear.&nbsp; I&nbsp;decided to do something because&nbsp;I 
    could never find a good place to store the white cane that I needed for 
    taxiing at night.&nbsp; They're a tiny fraction of the cost of the 
    "aviation" lights (under $100), but don't know how they work yet.&nbsp; Will 
    post when I know.</SPAN></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=781072015-19042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=781072015-19042004>Chuck</SPAN></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT 
      face=Tahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> 
      reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of 
      </B>NMFlyer1@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 9:53 
      AM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: 
      REFLECTOR:lights <BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
      <DIV>I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed my 
      glass work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can be hard 
      to see when taxiing around the Airpark&nbsp;where I live&nbsp;and wanted 
      something a little better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi bulb 
      idea and I put that in my system... but there could be additional 
      light.</DIV>
      <DIV>I&nbsp;am considering a &nbsp;<STRONG>HID</STRONG> light for the main 
      light. </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they won't 
      even return calls or E-mails regarding the product.&nbsp; I do like the 
      17-degree option they offer though. </DIV>
      <DIV><A href="http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm">HID 
      Boom Beam Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing taxi 
      recognition</A></DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price (still 
      expensive), and I plan on calling them regarding the best "intermediate" 
      system. </DIV>
      <DIV><A href="http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/">HID Xenon arc discharge 
      aircraft landing, taxi and work lights</A></DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are: </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The much lower current draw will eliminate 
      the need for a landing light relay, and </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Give the system back about 4 amps. 
      </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Less heat, much more light!! and a much longer 
      bulb life. </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>I did an experiment with the landing light in the 
      <STRONG>V.</STRONG>&nbsp;&nbsp; I placed the light at the correct height 
      on a pushcart, and at the same angle as in the airplane. I pointed it down 
      the road at night and looked at the pattern and distance. The pattern was 
      pretty small, and provided fairly good light Wayyyyy down there...in a 
      small circle.&nbsp; I then put the halogen bulb (aircraft) replacement for 
      the 4509 on the stand and tried again. There was a little more light, 
      slightly brighter at the target, but still a small pattern. </DIV>
      <DIV>I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... but 
      nothing spectacular. </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is traffic 
      in the area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark when 
      you taxi on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!! </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID lights? 
      </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Kurt Winker. </DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42625.2EDBB970--