REFLECTOR:lights

Robin Ream reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:22:13 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C425F8.2EB6B720
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Are you mounting those on a fixed gear or a retract?

Robin
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Chuck Jensen=20
  To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'=20
  Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 10:30 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:lights=20


  I'm installing twin rectangular Xenon driving lights by mounting them =
as a sandwich on both sides of the nose gear.  I decided to do something =
because I could never find a good place to store the white cane that I =
needed for taxiing at night.  They're a tiny fraction of the cost of the =
"aviation" lights (under $100), but don't know how they work yet.  Will =
post when I know.

  Chuck
    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On =
Behalf Of NMFlyer1@aol.com
    Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 9:53 AM
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:lights=20


    I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed my =
glass work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can be =
hard to see when taxiing around the Airpark where I live and wanted =
something a little better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi =
bulb idea and I put that in my system... but there could be additional =
light.
    I am considering a  HID light for the main light.=20

    Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they won't =
even return calls or E-mails regarding the product.  I do like the =
17-degree option they offer though.=20
    HID Boom Beam Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing =
taxi recognition


    Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price (still =
expensive), and I plan on calling them regarding the best "intermediate" =
system.=20
    HID Xenon arc discharge aircraft landing, taxi and work lights

    The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are:=20
         The much lower current draw will eliminate the need for a =
landing light relay, and=20
         Give the system back about 4 amps.=20

        Less heat, much more light!! and a much longer bulb life.=20

    I did an experiment with the landing light in the V.   I placed the =
light at the correct height on a pushcart, and at the same angle as in =
the airplane. I pointed it down the road at night and looked at the =
pattern and distance. The pattern was pretty small, and provided fairly =
good light Wayyyyy down there...in a small circle.  I then put the =
halogen bulb (aircraft) replacement for the 4509 on the stand and tried =
again. There was a little more light, slightly brighter at the target, =
but still a small pattern.=20
    I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... but =
nothing spectacular.=20

    Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is traffic =
in the area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark =
when you taxi on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!!=20

    Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID lights?=20

    Kurt Winker. 
------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C425F8.2EB6B720
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
#ffffff"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Are you mounting those on a =
fixed gear=20
or a retract?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Robin</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcjensen@dts9000.com =
href=3D"mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck=20
  Jensen</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 =
10:30=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:lights =
</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D781072015-19042004>I'm installing twin =
rectangular&nbsp;Xenon=20
  driving lights by mounting them as a sandwich on both sides of the =
nose=20
  gear.&nbsp; I&nbsp;decided to do something because&nbsp;I could never =
find a=20
  good place to store the white cane that I needed for taxiing at =
night.&nbsp;=20
  They're a tiny fraction of the cost of the "aviation" lights (under =
$100), but=20
  don't know how they work yet.&nbsp; Will post when I =
know.</SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D781072015-19042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D781072015-19042004>Chuck</SPAN></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT=20
    face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
    reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On =
Behalf Of=20
    </B>NMFlyer1@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 9:53=20
    AM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: =
REFLECTOR:lights=20
    <BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed =
my=20
    glass work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can =
be hard=20
    to see when taxiing around the Airpark&nbsp;where I live&nbsp;and =
wanted=20
    something a little better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi =
bulb=20
    idea and I put that in my system... but there could be additional=20
    light.</DIV>
    <DIV>I&nbsp;am considering a &nbsp;<STRONG>HID</STRONG> light for =
the main=20
    light. </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they =
won't even=20
    return calls or E-mails regarding the product.&nbsp; I do like the =
17-degree=20
    option they offer though. </DIV>
    <DIV><A =
href=3D"http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm">HID Boom=20
    Beam Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing taxi=20
    recognition</A></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price =
(still=20
    expensive), and I plan on calling them regarding the best =
"intermediate"=20
    system. </DIV>
    <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/">HID Xenon arc =
discharge=20
    aircraft landing, taxi and work lights</A></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are: </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The much lower current draw will =
eliminate the=20
    need for a landing light relay, and </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Give the system back about 4 =
amps. </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Less heat, much more light!! and a much =
longer bulb=20
    life. </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>I did an experiment with the landing light in the=20
    <STRONG>V.</STRONG>&nbsp;&nbsp; I placed the light at the correct =
height on=20
    a pushcart, and at the same angle as in the airplane. I pointed it =
down the=20
    road at night and looked at the pattern and distance. The pattern =
was pretty=20
    small, and provided fairly good light Wayyyyy down there...in a =
small=20
    circle.&nbsp; I then put the halogen bulb (aircraft) replacement for =
the=20
    4509 on the stand and tried again. There was a little more light, =
slightly=20
    brighter at the target, but still a small pattern. </DIV>
    <DIV>I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... =
but=20
    nothing spectacular. </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is =
traffic in=20
    the area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark =
when you=20
    taxi on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!! </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID =
lights?=20
    </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Kurt Winker. </DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C425F8.2EB6B720--