REFLECTOR:lights

AnnSam reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:08:50 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00D0_01C42630.FC6BDEB0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I guess that it's best that you don't see where you're landing during a
night flight after the engine quits. It may be too unnerving.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Chuck Jensen
  Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 11:44 AM
  To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:lights


  Retract.  The lights will be powered by a circuit tied to the the oil
pressure and landing gear switches.  I have to have both, oil pressure and
landing gear down, for the lights to energize.

  Chuck
    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Robin Ream
    Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 10:22 AM
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:lights


    Are you mounting those on a fixed gear or a retract?

    Robin
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Chuck Jensen
      To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'
      Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 10:30 AM
      Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:lights


      I'm installing twin rectangular Xenon driving lights by mounting them
as a sandwich on both sides of the nose gear.  I decided to do something
because I could never find a good place to store the white cane that I
needed for taxiing at night.  They're a tiny fraction of the cost of the
"aviation" lights (under $100), but don't know how they work yet.  Will post
when I know.

      Chuck
        -----Original Message-----
        From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of NMFlyer1@aol.com
        Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 9:53 AM
        To: reflector@tvbf.org
        Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:lights


        I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed my
glass work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can be hard
to see when taxiing around the Airpark where I live and wanted something a
little better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi bulb idea and I put
that in my system... but there could be additional light.
        I am considering a  HID light for the main light.

        Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they won't
even return calls or E-mails regarding the product.  I do like the 17-degree
option they offer though.
        HID Boom Beam Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing
taxi recognition


        Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price (still
expensive), and I plan on calling them regarding the best "intermediate"
system.
        HID Xenon arc discharge aircraft landing, taxi and work lights

        The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are:
             The much lower current draw will eliminate the need for a
landing light relay, and
             Give the system back about 4 amps.

            Less heat, much more light!! and a much longer bulb life.

        I did an experiment with the landing light in the V.   I placed the
light at the correct height on a pushcart, and at the same angle as in the
airplane. I pointed it down the road at night and looked at the pattern and
distance. The pattern was pretty small, and provided fairly good light
Wayyyyy down there...in a small circle.  I then put the halogen bulb
(aircraft) replacement for the 4509 on the stand and tried again. There was
a little more light, slightly brighter at the target, but still a small
pattern.
        I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... but
nothing spectacular.

        Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is traffic
in the area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark when
you taxi on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!!

        Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID lights?

        Kurt Winker.

------=_NextPart_000_00D0_01C42630.FC6BDEB0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
#ffffff"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D781430421-19042004>I guess that it's best that you =
don't see=20
where you're landing during a night flight after the engine quits. It =
may be too=20
unnerving.</SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf =
Of=20
  </B>Chuck Jensen<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 11:44 =
AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  'reflector@tvbf.org'<BR><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:lights=20
  <BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D218233515-19042004>Retract.&nbsp; The lights will =
be powered=20
  by a circuit tied to the the oil pressure and landing gear =
switches.&nbsp; I=20
  have to have both, oil pressure and landing gear down, for the lights =
to=20
  energize.</SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D218233515-19042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D218233515-19042004>Chuck</SPAN></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT=20
    face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
    reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On =
Behalf Of=20
    </B>Robin Ream<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 10:22 =
AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
    reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:lights=20
    <BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Are you mounting those =
on a fixed=20
    gear or a retract?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Robin</FONT></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- =
</DIV>
      <DIV=20
      style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
      <A title=3Dcjensen@dts9000.com =
href=3D"mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck=20
      Jensen</A> </DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
      href=3D"mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> =
</DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, =
2004 10:30=20
      AM</DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: =
REFLECTOR:lights </DIV>
      <DIV><BR></DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D781072015-19042004>I'm installing twin=20
      rectangular&nbsp;Xenon driving lights by mounting them as a =
sandwich on=20
      both sides of the nose gear.&nbsp; I&nbsp;decided to do something=20
      because&nbsp;I could never find a good place to store the white =
cane that=20
      I needed for taxiing at night.&nbsp; They're a tiny fraction of =
the cost=20
      of the "aviation" lights (under $100), but don't know how they =
work=20
      yet.&nbsp; Will post when I know.</SPAN></DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D781072015-19042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D781072015-19042004>Chuck</SPAN></DIV>
      <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
        <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT=20
        face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
        reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On =
Behalf=20
        Of </B>NMFlyer1@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 =
9:53=20
        AM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re:=20
        REFLECTOR:lights <BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
        <DIV>I thought about lights on the canard, but had already =
completed my=20
        glass work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it =
can be=20
        hard to see when taxiing around the Airpark&nbsp;where I =
live&nbsp;and=20
        wanted something a little better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. =
had a=20
        taxi bulb idea and I put that in my system... but there could be =

        additional light.</DIV>
        <DIV>I&nbsp;am considering a &nbsp;<STRONG>HID</STRONG> light =
for the=20
        main light. </DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they =
won't=20
        even return calls or E-mails regarding the product.&nbsp; I do =
like the=20
        17-degree option they offer though. </DIV>
        <DIV><A =
href=3D"http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm">HID=20
        Boom Beam Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing =
taxi=20
        recognition</A></DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price =
(still=20
        expensive), and I plan on calling them regarding the best =
"intermediate"=20
        system. </DIV>
        <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/">HID Xenon arc =
discharge=20
        aircraft landing, taxi and work lights</A></DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are: =
</DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The much lower current draw will =
eliminate=20
        the need for a landing light relay, and </DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Give the system back about 4 =
amps.=20
        </DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Less heat, much more light!! and a much =
longer=20
        bulb life. </DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>I did an experiment with the landing light in the=20
        <STRONG>V.</STRONG>&nbsp;&nbsp; I placed the light at the =
correct height=20
        on a pushcart, and at the same angle as in the airplane. I =
pointed it=20
        down the road at night and looked at the pattern and distance. =
The=20
        pattern was pretty small, and provided fairly good light Wayyyyy =
down=20
        there...in a small circle.&nbsp; I then put the halogen bulb =
(aircraft)=20
        replacement for the 4509 on the stand and tried again. There was =
a=20
        little more light, slightly brighter at the target, but still a =
small=20
        pattern. </DIV>
        <DIV>I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works =
OK... but=20
        nothing spectacular. </DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is =
traffic=20
        in the area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY =
dark=20
        when you taxi on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!! =
</DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID =
lights?=20
        </DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>Kurt Winker.=20
</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00D0_01C42630.FC6BDEB0--