REFLECTOR:lights

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:53:26 EDT


-------------------------------1082386406
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed my glass work 
on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can be hard to see when 
taxiing around the Airpark where I live and wanted something a little better. 
In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi bulb idea and I put that in my 
system... but there could be additional light.
I am considering a  HID light for the main light. 

Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they won't even return 
calls or E-mails regarding the product.  I do like the 17-degree option they 
offer though. 
HID Boom Beam Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing taxi 
recognition


Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price (still expensive), 
and I plan on calling them regarding the best "intermediate" system. 
HID Xenon arc discharge aircraft landing, taxi and work lights

The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are: 
     The much lower current draw will eliminate the need for a landing light 
relay, and 
     Give the system back about 4 amps. 

    Less heat, much more light!! and a much longer bulb life. 

I did an experiment with the landing light in the V.   I placed the light at 
the correct height on a pushcart, and at the same angle as in the airplane. I 
pointed it down the road at night and looked at the pattern and distance. The 
pattern was pretty small, and provided fairly good light Wayyyyy down 
there...in a small circle.  I then put the halogen bulb (aircraft) replacement for the 
4509 on the stand and tried again. There was a little more light, slightly 
brighter at the target, but still a small pattern. 
I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... but nothing 
spectacular. 

Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is traffic in the 
area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark when you taxi on 
unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!! 

Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID lights? 

Kurt Winker. 

-------------------------------1082386406
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUS-ASCII http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; cha=
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffff=
f">
<DIV>I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed my glas=
s work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can be hard to se=
e when taxiing around the Airpark&nbsp;where I live&nbsp;and wanted somethin=
g a little better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi bulb idea and I=
 put that in my system... but there could be additional light.</DIV>
<DIV>I&nbsp;am considering a &nbsp;<STRONG>HID</STRONG> light for the main l=
ight. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they won't even=20=
return calls or E-mails regarding the product.&nbsp; I do like the 17-degree=
 option they offer though. </DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm">HID Bo=
om Beam Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing taxi recognit=
ion</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price (still expens=
ive), and I plan on calling them regarding the best "intermediate" system. <=
/DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/">HID Xenon arc discharge air=
craft landing, taxi and work lights</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are: </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The much lower current draw will eliminate the=
 need for a landing light relay, and </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Give the system back about 4 amps. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Less heat, much more light!! and a much longer bulb=20=
life. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I did an experiment with the landing light in the <STRONG>V.</STRONG>&n=
bsp;&nbsp; I placed the light at the correct height on a pushcart, and at th=
e same angle as in the airplane. I pointed it down the road at night and loo=
ked at the pattern and distance. The pattern was pretty small, and provided=20=
fairly good light Wayyyyy down there...in a small circle.&nbsp; I then put t=
he halogen bulb (aircraft) replacement for the 4509 on the stand and tried a=
gain. There was a little more light, slightly brighter at the target, but st=
ill a small pattern. </DIV>
<DIV>I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... but not=
hing spectacular. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is traffic in=20=
the area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark when you=20=
taxi on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!! </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID lights? </D=
IV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kurt Winker. </DIV></BODY></HTML>

-------------------------------1082386406--