REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket
David Bertram
reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:57:08 -0500
The important thing now is to keep using your new ticket. You are now on
the ground floor and you either get more proficient or backslide. Only
practice will make you a better pilot. Keep up the good work. Dave Bertram
CFII since 1969
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene Dugas" <rdugas@bayou.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 5:46 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket
> I got both Sporty's and King, studied hard, then tried the local route
> with no success. Flew my Cardinal Rg to American Flyers in Fort Worth
> and got the ticket in six days. I like total immersion. It works in
> IFR, language, medicine and sports. It is just very intense. Good prep
> makes a difference. Check ride was almost 9 hours of oral and flight
> time. It was thorough. They saw my mistakes immediately then pounded
> the corrections into my cranium. I am glad I did the "10 day route".
> Used the Cardinal because the Velo was not finished.
> Rene'
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Christopher Barber
> Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 3:25 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket
>
> No problem Chuck, I will send you the first 26 hour day invoice...hmm,
> at
> $225.00 per hour, lets see.....$5850.00 just make the cashiers check out
> to
> Christopher Barber....heck we can actually just make it out directly to
> Velo
> or ACSpruce (ok, should be to student loans <g>)
>
> I'll let you choose.
>
> Actually knowing the difference between King and Sporty's makes this
> list
> worth every penny we donated. Any other thoughts on the two?....or
> others?
>
> All the best,
>
> Chris
>
> Christopher Barber
> Attorney and Counselor at Law
> 11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
> Suite 103
> Houston, Texas 77089-4755
> 281-464-LAWS (5297)
> 281-754-4168 (Fax)
>
> "Serving the needs of Senior Texans"
>
> CBarber@TexasAttorney.net
> www.TexasAttorney.net
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
> Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 11:12 AM
> To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket
>
>
> I've read the books and stuff too, but for fast absorption and putting
> the
> whole picture together, the King videos are, well, King. I was a more
> than a
> little intimidated after reading the "stuff", but was comfortably
> over-confident after the videos.
>
> The couple hundred bucks aren't much in the whole picture. Heck, you
> can
> just bill one of those 26 hours days that lawyers are (in)famous for and
> you
> can cover it several times over!
>
> Chuck
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Christopher Barber
> Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 11:07 AM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket
>
>
> Ok, I will be the bonehead to ask....how do you pass with 10 seconds of
> your
> instruction. Yes, I want to be a good IFR pilot and be safe and I know
> there is no substitute for good learning and experience. However, we
> must
> pass a test that from what I have been told, may or may not have much to
> do
> with what you actually do flying IFR (gee, has very little to do with
> what
> you actually do....sounds like the bar exam)
>
> I have already taken a 12 week ground school just to get an idea of what
> to
> expect. Gleim materials....short and sweet info. I figured this way it
> would not all be so new to me. Also, the Jepp book on IFR is VERY user
> friendly. I like having it just as a solid reference. However, the
> reality
> is, I know I will need to basically start from scratch before I really
> feel
> comfortable with the skill and knowledge. After all it is only a matter
> of
> life and death....more important....my airplane <g>
>
> Curious minds wish to know.
>
> All the best,
>
> Chris
>
> Christopher Barber
> Attorney and Counselor at Law
> 11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
> Suite 103
> Houston, Texas 77089-4755
> 281-464-LAWS (5297)
> 281-754-4168 (Fax)
>
> "Serving the needs of Senior Texans"
>
> CBarber@TexasAttorney.net
> www.TexasAttorney.net
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of HYTEC45@aol.com
> Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 9:44 AM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket
>
>
> In a message dated 8/7/03 6:27:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> cjensen@dts9000.com writes:
>
> <<
> Now, the best way? Any experience or opinions out there about the
> best,
> most efficient program? >>
>
> If you are looking for speed that's one thing. If you are looking for
> retention, IMHO, I would stay away from the 10 day wonders. You only
> need
> 15hrs?
> (been a long time) with a CFII, not 40 to qualify for the check ride.
> 40 is
> the
> total actual or simulated time needed. Not everyone has the situation I
> had
> but what I did was this. I took the ground school/test first. Next, I
> have
> a
> friend who I felt was a good safe IFR pilot (or make a new friend that
> is).
> He was willing and quite able to provide instruction as "safety pilot"
> and
> really showed me all the roped. IFR is like welding, 10% instruction
> and
> 90%
> practice. The beauty was it not only helped me, but my buddy also got a
> good
> brushing up. After about 25hrs of flying all the approches/holdings,
> enroute and
> such with my buddy, I "interviewed" (very important here) a CFII to do
> the
> final brushup, polishing and provide the indorsement. My cost was
> aircraft/fuel
> (my own) and 10/15hrs. CFII. There are a lot of highly qualified IFR
> pilots
> that in some cases can provide better instruction than some II's, but
> they
> have
> other interests than jumping through hoops for the ticket.
>
> This is of course only one of may ways to go about it.
>
> If speed is what your looking for, in 30 seconds I can teach you how to
> ace
> any FAA written (without cheating). You won't rememnber s#*t, but
> you'll
> pass.
> I've always wondered about the 10 day thing and how much is retained.
>
> TEC
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose