REFLECTOR: TIG Welder

Sid Knox via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Fri Aug 8 19:26:24 CDT 2014


Hi Brian,
> I am looking for an AC TIG welder that I'd really like to run on 110VAC,
> but that may not be a realistic expectation.  Miller and Lincoln have rigs
> that look like I'll spend about $2,000 on for their smallest models that
> do AC TIG.
>
> Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Back in 2000 I bought a Lincoln SquareWave TIG 175 for about $1400 (new).
I have used it regurlarly since and I am very pleased with it's performance.
I have welded
Steel and  Aluminum and brazed cast iron.  If you can gas (Oxy-Acctl) weld,
transitioning to a TIG
is simple.  It requires 230VAC single-phase.

Back in the '70's (before I moved here to Oklahoma) , I built a DC stick
welder that required 230VAC
which was not available in the garage shop where I had the welder.
I made up a "special" power cord that had a 230V outlet on one end and split
off to two cords, each having a regular
115V, three-prong (hot, neut, gnd) plug but having only the hot and gnd
connected.  I then located two "normal" 115VAC
outlets in the house that were wired on opposite legs of the 230V service,
thus 230VAC (and safety gnd) to the welder.
I used it that way for many years until the house burned down.   No, just 
kidding.
I still have the special cord and occasionally use it at a friends house
when we need 230VAC for something.

Regards,
Sid

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ






---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com



More information about the Reflector mailing list