REFLECTOR: Noise in the Cockpit
Laurence Coen
lwcoen at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 26 12:35:56 CDT 2013
Ron,
Most electrical noise related to engine speed are different than what you are describing (ignition pulse or alternator whine). As others have suggested you need to find the source. In your original post you suspected the mike. Unplug the mike while listening to the ATIS to test it out. Turn off your radios to see if they are the source of the noise. Since this noise is related to engine speed, try turning off your alternator. Try a passive headset to see if your electrical system is somehow messing with the noise canceling electronics.
Good luck.
Larry Coen
N136LC
From: velocityxl
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:37 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Noise in the Cockpit
Yes I have squelch . The hisssssss gets so load I can barly here the atis or the tower.
Sent from Ron's Samsung tablet
-------- Original message --------
From: Laurence Coen <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
Date: 09/25/2013 11:14 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Noise in the Cockpit
Ron,
Doesn't your intercom have squelch? If it does then you shouldn't hear any
noise from the mike. I flew my plane with no interior for some time and
expected it to be a lot quieter with upholstery. I used cloth over 1/4"
foam. The effect on the noise level was disappointing. I used a sound
level meter to measure the difference with and without upholstery and there
was only a 2db drop. Hardly enough to even notice.
Your mileage may vary.
Larry Coen
N136LC
--------------------------------------------------
From: "Ron N VelocityXLFG" <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:36 AM
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Noise in the Cockpit
> My plane is quite noisy . The noise is a loud hissssssss that increases
> as engine Rpm increases. The sound seems to be coming
> from the mic. I have done some testing and the best Solution I have been
> told is to get
> the Oregon Aero Mic covers.
>
> I do not have a full interior in my plane yet so the question of the day
> is does the cloth
> interior help a lot to reduce cabin noise. I was going to paint the
> interior but if the
> cloth interior quiets it down may be I will go with the cloth interior.
>
> I do have noise canceling head sets not the best but do work well in other
> airplanes I have flown in.
>
> Ron
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130926/3ffa53c0/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list