REFLECTOR: Avionics bus switch
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Tue Mar 19 15:44:50 CDT 2013
I have a pair of computers installed for data collection, and am
supporting them with a separate "backup bus". Now this bus does more
than just back up the computers. I have other essential electrics on
this bus, like the electronic injection and ignition system. When I
start the engine, the computers and everything on the bus are stable.
This backup bus is a 20AH pair of motorcycle AGM batteries that I
consider to be capable of running the engine at least as long as the
sump tank, which is about one hour. I have measured them under load,
and they should last longer than that if I reduce loads.
So, my battery system is:
alternator
-> battery combiner
-> main battery
-> backup battery
The backup battery runs:
fuel injection
ignition
avionics
electric gyros
small red cockpit light
I have contactor switches on the panel to enable/disable either battery,
and a third switch to join the two busses together.
So, assume the flight over water, and I lose the alternator: I would
join the two busses and turn off the backup battery saving it for the
bitter end.
Nuckolls likes simple switch configurations, and my design may be a
little more complicated than he would endorse, but it is three
switches. Mine seems to work okay, and gives me a lot of options for
various failure scenarios. In my case, I should run out of fuel before
I run out of battery life, and even then I can turn on the backup fuel
injectors that are simply misting nozzles, and a magneto, which allow me
to turn off all of the electrics.
One of these days, I hope very soon now, I will get some performance
numbers on my backup fuel injection system. It's quite simple, and the
parts are very cheap. The hoses and fittings cost more than the nozzles
and needle valve.
On 3/18/2013 7:37 PM, Don Johnston wrote:
> Because of institutional memory, OWT, etc. I'm trying to decide how to
> handle the avionics bus.
>
> Since the first day I sat in an airplane, I've always been told to
> never turn on the avionics until the engine is running lest to fry all
> the expensive, delicate, precious electronic devices. Then again, I
> was also told to never run LOP, land without flaps, or taxi faster
> than an 80-year-old man can walk. :-)
>
> Since I'm going to have all the engine info on GRT displays, there is
> no way to see the actual engine information unless the avionics are on
> before engine start.
>
> So how are you guys getting engine info in a pure electronic panel
> environment? Separate, clean, protected bus for avionics? Ignore it
> since it's an OWT? So other solution?
>
> -Don
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130319/5268c655/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list