REFLECTOR: pole question: air/oil separator

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Mar 4 13:15:08 CST 2013


I've posted the engineering diagram a few times on this list. Just last 
week the last time. search the archive or your PC if you save emails.

I did not use a back-fire device.  I also talked about why a few times 
already here.

Scott

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: pole question: air/oil separator
From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 03/04/2013 07:34 AM

> Scott,
> Would you mind sharing the details of the construction of the scavenger nozzle in your exhaust pipe? As well did you install a backfire check-valve?
>
> Mark B. Magee
> N34XL
> Sent from IPhone 4S
>
> On Mar 4, 2013, at 8:04 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
>
>> Tried one it didn't eliminate the oil and raised the crankcase pressure causing oil seepage on the pan gasket. I'd say it removed maybe 1/2 or less of the oil.  I was returning the separated wet toxic goo into the crankcase which I think is a bad idea. Should be captured in a reservoir.  I removed it.
>>
>> I plumbed my breather tube into a scavenger fitting on my exhaust. A great solution. It burns and blows the oil away and pulls the toxic vapors out of the crankcase.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>> -------- Original Message --------
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: pole question: air/oil separator
>> From: numa at comcast.net
>> To: reflector at tvbf.org
>> Date: 03/03/2013 07:07 PM
>>
>>> Do you have or not have an air/oil separator installed?
>>>
>>> And for those that have not, how bad is the mess aft of the breather tube?
>>>
>>> Don Johnston
>>> XL-RG w/Cont IO-550N
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> --
>> Leave no stone unturned.
>> Euripides
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>

-- 
What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is 
in others.
Confucius


More information about the Reflector mailing list