REFLECTOR: Need for Cabin Heat at Altitude

Ron N VelocityXLFG velocityxl at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 28 11:07:31 CDT 2013


I tried this set up and it fail miserably but with your change to make 
sure it is totally sealed makes a big difference make some sense . I 
have high hopes it works for you .
Keep us informed . If it works for you then I will reinstall mine as I 
took it out .

Ron
On 6/28/2013 9:33 AM, Don Johnston wrote:
> Okay... I think I see where you're going. Centrifugal fans are 
> definitely move more air. But I was approaching this as a "cabin air 
> heat" topic and not a "ground oil cooling" topic.
>
> For ground oil cooling, you are absolutely correct. A leaking NACA 
> flap and an axial fan won't move much air.
>
> But for in flight cabin air heating, I */think/* that a not-so-perfect 
> NACA flap seal with an axial fan would be sufficient.  But (for me) 
> it's just theory.
>
> -Don
>
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Ruben Creus <ruben at vainneg.com 
> <mailto:ruben at vainneg.com>> wrote:
>
>     I sent this message was it was not posted, so here goes again...
>     see if this time works.
>
>     Here I attach some pics. As you can see the flap opens and closes
>     that naca scoop. As the fan is pointing at a 90 degree angle in
>     relation to the oil cooler you need to create a perfect seal, so
>     the naca scoop becomes a chamber where air gets pressurized and
>     the only escape is the oil cooler.
>
>     In my tests I noticed that if the chamber is not a perfect seal,
>     then and air escapes, if the air escapes then there is I no
>     pressure built up, and therefore no air going to the cooler, but
>     when the chamber is sealed then all the air builds up and can only
>     go to the cooler. The other test I did was with a normal blower
>     fan, and it losses a lot of CFMs vs. de squirrel cage fan that
>     loses very little CFM. You can see that on the fan manufactures
>     specs. Someone wrote a nice message explaining the difference and
>     the reason for this. What I found out that the propeller design
>     does not move much air when it has pressure in front of it, but
>     with the squirrel cage each blade pushes air to the next and so
>     forth... I am not fan engineer, but in practical terms it was a
>     huge and extremely noticeable difference. I guess that is why they
>     use squirrel cage fan for all ducting systems (like A/C) use
>     squirrel fan, and open air systems use normal fan propellers.
>
>     I did a test yesterday. OAT was 35C (95F).  I started the engine
>     and the oil go up to 215F, then close the flap and turn the fan on
>     and oil temp when down to 195F, allowing me to stay in the ground
>     for as much time we want. (very convenient in large airports).
>
>     The other tests was in flight to close the flap and open the fan,
>     and I had a very decent amount of air going to the cabin, pretty
>     hot air!!  So very promising. Now I just need to wait until the
>     winter to give a final verdict, but the amount of air is very
>     decent and the temperature was very hot. So we will see what
>     happens in the winter months.....
>
>     I hope this is helpful and not too boring.
>
>     Ruben
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     To change your email address, visit
>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>     Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>     <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>     Check old archives:
>     http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130628/e2f59acf/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list