REFLECTOR: GRT ADAHRS Mounting Location

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Mon Jul 1 09:18:19 CDT 2013


Scott,

I mounted mine on the canard under the big hatch, works great there.  Just get it level in pitch and roll, and of course orient it towards the direction of flight. I put spacers under the four mounting holes to accomplish this. 

I did have some trouble with the magnetometer when it was mounted next to the AHRS so I just moved it to the strake end. Originally when I calibrated it there was a lot of error, and in flight the displayed heading (on the EFIS screens) would sometimes be far off. There is far less error when calibrating it while its mounted in the strake. Now when I display the setup page to access the raw magnetic heading and transmit I do see some deviation, but I haven't flown with it there yet.  The Nav lights and strobes do not affect it there. 

I probably had the same issue with it on the canard since it was located near the radio stack and didn't see any variation in the displayed heading (on the EFIS screens, not the setup page).  I put it in the strake opposite from the side with the Com antenna used by my primary Com radio to minimize the affect, but there is still some deviation in the raw magnetic heading. I'll post back after flying with it there. 

Regards,

Glenn



On Jul 1, 2013, at 7:08 AM, Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question to those flying with GRT EFIS system(s).
> I am soon to install a Grand Rapids dual ADAHRS unit in a fixed gear Velocity.
> Avionics shop has installed a 6' cable - enough to mount the ADAHRS in the nose compartment, but short of reaching the 'back of the bus' where I would typically install the ADAHRS unit.
> Need some feedback please, as to your experiences with mounting the unit in the nose compartment.  Have there been any concerns/issues regarding performance?
> Thanks!
> Scott B.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list