REFLECTOR: Was Fuel Tanks: Now Ethanol Free Mogas

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Wed Jan 9 17:17:06 CST 2013


On 1/9/2013 12:46 PM, nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
> You will Never get a good seal with a "slosh" on a fiberglass tank. 
> They tried that with my 235 tip tanks, and it turned into a disaster.
> I had to cut the tanks apart and fix them.
> On another note, I fixed those tanks with Jeffco. They worked ok for 
> several years, then started to soften. Odd, the top is where they 
> softened, not the bottom where the fuel settled.
Makes sense to me.  All gas will have a small amount of water dissolved 
in it.  Since it's dissolved, you can't see it.  Whenever the gas is 
warmer than the OAT, water (and gas) will vaporize and condense at the 
cool spots (metal fuel cap).  The water will vaporize at a much greater 
concentration than in the gas and therefore will condense as a separate, 
nearly 100%, water phase. The Jeffco info indicates that water does 
soften it.

John


> I was using MoGas with no ethanol in those tanks. They don't leak, but 
> will need some attention once the Velocity is up and squawk free.
> I had planned on using  Mogas/100ll blend in the Velocity when at 
> home. I'm not so sure it is worth the risk. There has been MoGas in 
> the Velocity tanks for quite some time (from a different supplier) 
> with no problems.
> Unfortunately, some of the cleaners they put in the new fuels are able 
> to penetrate the jeffco sealant. Since we do not know what they are, 
> we have no way to test for them. You sure can not take the retailer's 
> word on it. I am in the planning process to add MoGas to our airport. 
> Once I get a little further down the road, I can do some more checking.
> Kurt
>
>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130109/c0a996ed/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list