REFLECTOR: CHT update and sealing up the cabin

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 19:08:08 CDT 2012


John,

Not sure I understand what you mean by sealing with silicone.  Did you put
a bead along the sealing edges?  I have some edge-guard like sealing strip
that I was thinking of using.

Geoff

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:

>  I sealed my nose doors with silicone and it works good.  I've wondered
> if the car door edge guard would work where the doors come together.
>
> John
>
>
> On 9/30/2012 6:34 PM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote:
>
> Guys,
>
>  So, I've finally cooled down my hot #3 cylinder.  It had been going up
> to +430F on climb out.  Some rather aggressive mods to the intake plenum
> got it down to 420F max so I turned my attention to a combustion problem.
>  The EGT was always higher than the others and it always peaked first
> (~20deg before the others).  So, I removed the injector, ultrasonicated it
> in acetone, twirled a drill bit thru it (#72, I think) as well as cleaned
> and gapped both spark plugs.  Took it out today when there was a break in
> the clouds and did an aggressive climb to 10k' - all CHT and EGT's level.
>  None got above 395F on a full power climb to 10K (it is cool here, tho -
> ~60F).  Once I got to altitude, I was able to go LOP and #3 didn't peak
> first - they all peaked very close to each other.  Nice to have that
> problem solved.
>
>  I also piped my oil breather into the exhaust - seemed to work well, no
> more oil streaks.
>
>  Because its starting to get cool here, I'm thinking about cabin heat.
>  I've been trying to seal up the cabin, but still have lots of drafts.
>  I've sealed the area between the canard and dog house cover.  I'm debating
> whether to try to seal the nose gear doors.  Has anyone found a good
> solution for that?  Also, does anyone know of any rubber bellows to use on
> the rudder pedal connections to the bell crank?  I've been trying to find
> something used in maybe from a master cylinder of a car, or maybe a clutch
> linkage thru the firewall.  If I can't seal up the nose gear doors
> effectively, then I'll have to try to seal up the slot the elevator push
> rod goes thru.
>
>  Geoff
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120930/5af13e8b/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list