REFLECTOR: IO-360 / Mag Timing?
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Wed Sep 12 13:51:19 CDT 2012
Yeah. Use a buzz box. Trivially simple.
If you are in a pinch, and happen to have a function generator, and a
voltmeter that can read AC volts, that works as well.
I do happen to have electronic ignition, and did verify my engine while
running. I used a pair of binoculars, and stood on a stool in front of
the strake. The timing light was duct taped down. I also had problems
with picking off the spark plug wire, but clamping the probe to a coil
lead was much more reliable.
On 9/12/2012 8:35 AM, Kevin Baker wrote:
> Oh So you don't do any timing with the engine running or with a light?
> You just set the mag with the pin to the engine flywheel timing mark and your done. Nothing else ?
> I thought there was something about rotating the mag to adjust something.
> A local ap was talking about a timing light so that started to confuse me.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin Baker
>
> .
>
> On Sep 12, 2012, at 8:17 AM, "Patrick Sieders" <pjsieders at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Kevin,
>>
>> There is two ways to do it. And it all depends on if the magneto was removed
>> or not.
>>
>> 1. at an inspection, since the spark plugs are removed, that will make
>> the prop much easier to turn (no compression). This is by far the best way.
>> 2. If the magneto is being replaced onto the engine, the cap with the
>> sparkplug cables is not on, and then find compression stroke on cylinder #1
>> by removing only that spark plug (one of the two).
>>
>> Then time it. I used to time it back and forth, since there is some play.
>> But I would make certain that the magneto is set deadon on the correct
>> rotation direction of your engine. First time the left magneto, then match
>> the right.
>>
>> Now, your question actually sounded like you asked the inside timing of the
>> mag.. but the next sentence refered to timing on engine. So hopefully this
>> is what you wanted, otherwise I can explain a little more about the internal
>> timing later.
>>
>> Hope it helps !
>> Patrick Sieders
>> Nashville TN
>> Velocity XLFG-5
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>> Behalf Of Kevin Baker
>> Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:55 AM
>> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: IO-360 / Mag Timing?
>>
>> Hi All,
>> Ok.. this may be an easy question but I just can't figure it out.
>> How does one adjust the timing on the mag?
>> Ok.. I know you install the mag TDC, etc but how does one utilize the timing
>> light without getting hurt by the prop?
>>
>> Maybe it's easy - I'm just having trouble figuring this one out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kevin Baker
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check
>> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list