REFLECTOR: Methods and Tools questions

Tim Rhodenbaugh timrhod at aol.com
Tue Oct 2 17:20:25 CDT 2012


I've built two glass homebuilts one with electric tools and the second the velo with mostly air tools I much prefer the air tools. saw, angle sander or cut wheel, sprayer. I still used a bandsaw a lot and Dremel tool


Sent from my iPad

On Oct 2, 2012, at 5:32 PM, Lawrence Epstein <ljepstein at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If I had to (get to ;-)) do this agin, I would dump the electric tools and go air all the way..
> 
> Larry Epstein
> 
> On Oct 2, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> I'm getting closer to getting my basement ready and as a consequence
>> actually being able to start on my kit.   Since I would like to
>> complete the kit using the same methods I start with, I am asking the
>> group for your collective wisdom.
>> 
>> 
>> Has anybody successfully used vacuum bagging for much on the velocity?
>> I went through Brett Ferrell's archive and some web searching and
>> didn't find much.   Someone is selling strake baffles that are vacuum
>> bagged and some of the quickbuild wings used to be done with vacuum
>> bagging techniques, but I don't see much about it on the list.    If I
>> do go for a vacuum system some things that I think will be good to do
>> are the main wings, and winglets and the canard.  I'm not sure that
>> I'll be able to do the layups that are on existing pieces very well
>> since I'll need vacuum tape and need the other surface to be airtight.
>> Plus if I did a large piece I'd be concerned about deforming the
>> piece I'm adding onto.
>> 
>> How much use would I get out of an air compressor?  All of my current
>> power tools are electric/battery driven and I'd prefer to stick with
>> more of those rather than have a mix of air and electric tools so the
>> compressor would actually only provide air rather than tool power.
>> The uses I can think of are mostly around dusting and cleaning.  I
>> have an airless paint sprayer that may or may not be useful when I get
>> to that stage.
>> 
>> I've got saws, drills, sanders, sanding blocks, levels and straight
>> edges and so on.  I'm planning on getting some clecos (and tool for
>> them).    Any other tools you guys think I should get before I even
>> start?
>> 
>> Clay
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list