REFLECTOR: Methods and Tools questions

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 16:44:20 CDT 2012


I know tools are expensive.... But, with that said.... Ya can't have too many good tools... I have lots of both kinds...Some will be necessary and useful all your life and some will be needed just for your plane... In my case, I use the air or electric tool that best fits the job... Some extra money on tools now will be more the appreciated later...


Steve 

> From: ljepstein at hotmail.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 17:32:50 -0400
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Methods and Tools questions
> 
> If I had to (get to ;-)) do this agin, I would dump the electric tools and go air all the way..
> 
> Larry Epstein
> 
> On Oct 2, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> > I'm getting closer to getting my basement ready and as a consequence
> > actually being able to start on my kit.   Since I would like to
> > complete the kit using the same methods I start with, I am asking the
> > group for your collective wisdom.
> > 
> > 
> > Has anybody successfully used vacuum bagging for much on the velocity?
> >  I went through Brett Ferrell's archive and some web searching and
> > didn't find much.   Someone is selling strake baffles that are vacuum
> > bagged and some of the quickbuild wings used to be done with vacuum
> > bagging techniques, but I don't see much about it on the list.    If I
> > do go for a vacuum system some things that I think will be good to do
> > are the main wings, and winglets and the canard.  I'm not sure that
> > I'll be able to do the layups that are on existing pieces very well
> > since I'll need vacuum tape and need the other surface to be airtight.
> > Plus if I did a large piece I'd be concerned about deforming the
> > piece I'm adding onto.
> > 
> > How much use would I get out of an air compressor?  All of my current
> > power tools are electric/battery driven and I'd prefer to stick with
> > more of those rather than have a mix of air and electric tools so the
> > compressor would actually only provide air rather than tool power.
> > The uses I can think of are mostly around dusting and cleaning.  I
> > have an airless paint sprayer that may or may not be useful when I get
> > to that stage.
> > 
> > I've got saws, drills, sanders, sanding blocks, levels and straight
> > edges and so on.  I'm planning on getting some clecos (and tool for
> > them).    Any other tools you guys think I should get before I even
> > start?
> > 
> > Clay
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > 
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121002/88df917a/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list