REFLECTOR: Hello from Chad and EAA (Darrell Kufalk)

Chad Jensen cjensen at eaa.org
Tue Nov 20 23:37:18 CST 2012


Thanks Darrell! I need to get back down to 18 again soon. 

I've been on Brett's site for a while, but I've not registered. I'll do that!

Chad
Sent from my iPad

On Nov 20, 2012, at 5:36 PM, "reflector-request at tvbf.org" <reflector-request at tvbf.org> wrote:

> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
>    reflector at tvbf.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    reflector-request at tvbf.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    reflector-owner at tvbf.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re:  Hello from Chad and EAA (Darrell & Nora Kufalk)
>   2.  STD-RG Performance (Dave T Nelson)
>   3. Re:  Need some advice/measurements (Geoff Gerhardt)
>   4. Re:  STD-RG Performance (Clayton Chase)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 16:51:46 -0600
> From: "Darrell & Nora Kufalk" <kufalk at wi.rr.com>
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
>    <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Hello from Chad and EAA
> Message-ID: <02c001cdc771$9e9e0380$dbda0a80$@wi.rr.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Hi Chad,
> 
> Welcome to the Reflector.  I remember meeting you a few months back when you
> visited EAA Chapter 18 in Milwaukee.  I remember the story you told about
> chickening out on building a Velocity.  I didn't have a chance to give you a
> hard time about that.  Glad to hear you haven't given up on the idea.  
> 
> If you've never been on an email list before, it takes a little getting used
> to.  Some of us love it, some of us hate it.  I recommend setting up a
> folder and a rule to divert all the Reflector mail into it.  It keeps your
> inbox a little cleaner.  One of our members with a little tech savvy setup a
> Reflector mirror forum on his website.  You can read all the Reflector
> postings there if you wish.  But it's a one way street for now.  Posts go in
> but they don't come out.  Send an email to Brett Ferrell and he will get you
> setup with a username and password for his site http://www.velocityxl.com/
> 
> Darrell Kufalk
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Chad Jensen
> Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 11:57 AM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Hello from Chad and EAA
> 
> Hello Velocity owners and builders! This style of email list is somewhat new
> to me, but I wanted to join, say hi, and let you all know two things. 
> 
> First, while not a Velocity builder yet, my wife and I intend to build one
> when my Cub is done. We had planned to start building one in 2005. I was on
> the phone with Scott ready to order when I realized that I didn't have the
> proper shop space to build one. I switched to choice number 2, an RV-8, and
> my wife immediately switched me to choice 3, the RV-7. She didn't want to
> sit behind me, and still doesn't. So while I am now building a Cub, she
> still wants a traveling airplane with room for the dogs. We will be back to
> a Velocity kit soon!
> 
> Secondly, I have been on staff at EAA for a bit over a year now, and I'm
> sure you all know of the changes that happened first back in January, and
> more recently at the end of October with Rod leaving EAA. I want you guys to
> know that I, and EAA, have a lot of work to do to bring back the core of
> what EAA is, and I now feel we are beginning a new era to do just that. I am
> on the senior leadership team (the VP's) and that's an important thing for
> us homebuilders. There will still be things on place at EAA to ensure we
> survive financially and remain relevant, but what EAA is isn't going
> anywhere. It's the homebuilders, chapters, and volunteers that make it what
> it is. All are welcome...Paul said that on day one, and he said it at a
> dinner last week. 
> 
> Let me know what I can do, and I look forward to participating here with you
> all!
> 
> Chad Jensen
> Sent from my iPad
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check
> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:00:38 -0600
> From: Dave T Nelson <dtnelson at us.ibm.com>
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR: STD-RG Performance
> Message-ID:
>    <OF6C17CD27.77D3BCEA-ON86257ABC.007DD288-86257ABC.007E678E at us.ibm.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> 
> I embedded some answers below...
> 
> Dave
> 
> Dave T. Nelson
> T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
> Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ----- Message from David Smith <dwsmithaircraft at yahoo.com> on Tue, 20 Nov
> 2012 14:07:37 -0800 (PST) -----
> 
>      To: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>   
> 
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine   
>          Cooling                                     
> 
> 
> 
> Dave,
> My experience has only been with Ezees and Long Ezees, and recently helped
> a friend for several years with a Lancair IVPT. I can't afford one of those
> and think I prefer the simpler and far more economical Velocity.
> Does your top NACA extend into the roof of cabin? Yes, it does.  However
> it's not much.  The thickest part of the NACA is very far back, well behind
> any passenger's head.  The part that could be by someone's head is thin
> enough to be no factor.  And... who cares?  You won't be back there!  :-)
> 
> Do you have any pics you can send?  Not handy, but send me your email and
> I'll try to get you some.
> 
> Also you confused me on the exhaust, your statement; "keeps the entire
> exhaust inside the cowl and exits aft of the prop", aft of prop? or just
> aft of prop extension? If you've been around long's much you've probably
> seen this kind of exhaust.  It's entirely within the normal cowl.  No bumps
> or protrusions at all.  The exhaust exits from within the cowl... the
> exhaust tubes are cut maybe 6 inches forward of the rear cowl lip, directly
> behind the prop.
> 
> Can you send pics of this as well. Yes - I've got those - send an email
> address.
> 
> You also stated and someone else as well that the right scoop was used for
> induction air. Correct.
> 
> Also mentioned earlier was the "Cold side of cylinder air". Both of my
> inlets appeared to be used for engine cooling only with a ram air scoop on
> bottom, (that stuck down an out into airstream) for induction but I am
> converting to a smaller NACA. If your induction air is coming from the
> bottom of the airplane, it's more likely to be picking up rocks, debris,
> etc.  Yuck!
> 
> I was also working on smooth streamlined fitting main gear doors and am
> trying to design a smaller wing mounted door to completely close wheel well
> opening. As far as everything else, Clean, Slick, Light, and smooth flow
> has been high priority second only to safety. Sounds good!
> 
> David Smith dwsmithaircraft at yahoo.com
> Message: 1
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121120/4fd761cb/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 18:21:39 -0500
> From: Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Need some advice/measurements
> Message-ID:
>    <CAHd2h4+Mo9a7RYrK5v6cx2vDD36uuQuFQu4G8MHR_WONYdMybw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Actually, when I first showed her that video, she pointed out several
> points where her nether regions were exposed when she bent over.  I had to
> quickly pull the video off youtube and do some edits!  Ok, now all you
> horny bastards who didn't see the video have gone off to have a look, right?
> 
> Geoff
> 
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM, David Smith <dwsmithaircraft at yahoo.com>wrote:
> 
>> Very awesome video. Even more Awesome is your wife helps!!!!
>> 
>>  *From:* Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com>
>> *To:* geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
>> list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:30 PM
>> 
>> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Need some advice/measurements
>> 
>> Awesome video !!
>> Scott B.
>> 
>> On 11/20/2012 2:51 PM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote:
>>> I had to move my SE-RG in and out of my shop (single-car garage door) a
>> couple times.  Here's how I did it.  I wouldn't try this with an engine on,
>> tho.  Its relatively easy to pull an engine off, tho.
>>> 
>>> http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=292
>>> 
>>> There's a video in that post that shows my wife and I moving it out of
>> the shop on a cradle.
>>> 
>>> Geoff
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121120/2dd7f51f/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:37:48 -0600
> From: Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: STD-RG Performance
> Message-ID: <6274677201039311931 at unknownmsgid>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Dave:
> Can you send the pics to the list so we can all see them?   Also if you
> want to post pics that are too large for the list, send them to me at
> chasec(at)gmail.com and I will put them on a website and post links.
> 
> Mobile device, please excuse brevity and typos.
> 
> On Nov 20, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Dave T Nelson <dtnelson at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> 
> I embedded some answers below...
> 
> Dave
> 
> Dave T. Nelson
> T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
> Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
> 
> 
> 
> ----- Message from David Smith <dwsmithaircraft at yahoo.com> on Tue, 20 Nov
> 2012 14:07:37 -0800 (PST) -----
> *To:*
> "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Subject:*
> REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine Cooling
> Dave,
> My experience has only been with Ezees and Long Ezees, and recently helped
> a friend for several years with a Lancair IVPT. I can't afford one of those
> and think I prefer the simpler and far more economical Velocity.
> Does your top NACA extend into the roof of cabin? *Yes, it does.  However
> it's not much.  The thickest part of the NACA is very far back, well behind
> any passenger's head.  The part that could be by someone's head is thin
> enough to be no factor.  And... who cares?  You won't be back there!  :-)*
> 
> Do you have any pics you can send? * Not handy, but send me your email and
> I'll try to get you some.*
> 
> Also you confused me on the exhaust, your statement; "keeps the entire
> exhaust inside the cowl and exits aft of the prop", aft of prop? or just
> aft of prop extension? *If you've been around long's much you've probably
> seen this kind of exhaust.  It's entirely within the normal cowl.  No bumps
> or protrusions at all.  The exhaust exits from within the cowl... the
> exhaust tubes are cut maybe 6 inches forward of the rear cowl lip, directly
> behind the prop.*
> 
> Can you send pics of this as well. *Yes - I've got those - send an email
> address.*
> 
> You also stated and someone else as well that the right scoop was used for
> induction air. *Correct.*
> 
> Also mentioned earlier was the "Cold side of cylinder air". Both of my
> inlets appeared to be used for engine cooling only with a ram air scoop on
> bottom, (that stuck down an out into airstream) for induction but I am
> converting to a smaller NACA.* If your induction air is coming from the
> bottom of the airplane, it's more likely to be picking up rocks, debris,
> etc.  Yuck!*
> 
> I was also working on smooth streamlined fitting main gear doors and am
> trying to design a smaller wing mounted door to completely close wheel well
> opening. As far as everything else, Clean, Slick, Light, and smooth flow
> has been high priority second only to safety. *Sounds good!*
> 
> David Smith *dwsmithaircraft at yahoo.com* <dwsmithaircraft at yahoo.com>
> Message: 1
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121120/0e26afb3/attachment.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> 
> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 92, Issue 52
> *****************************************



More information about the Reflector mailing list