REFLECTOR: Need some advice/measurements

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:51:31 CST 2012


I had to move my SE-RG in and out of my shop (single-car garage door) a
couple times.  Here's how I did it.  I wouldn't try this with an engine on,
tho.  Its relatively easy to pull an engine off, tho.

http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=292

There's a video in that post that shows my wife and I moving it out of the
shop on a cradle.

Geoff

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com> wrote:

> My plan is to make a cradle for the plane that I can twist about the
> longitudinal axis. I will then have to raise the whole thing high enough to
> get the tilt I need but that's easy.
>
> Mobile device, please excuse brevity and typos.
>
> On Nov 20, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Agree that an engine hoist is a good idea, however the center spar is not
> the center of mass - and lifting/controlling the nose section of the
> aircraft (while it is hoisted at the rear) will take some effort because of
> weight.  Remember the nose wheel will not be much help with the aircraft
> tilted.  Just thinking out loud.
>
> Scott Baker
>
> On Nov 20, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Craig Woolston <cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> If the engine is or even if it's not an engine host at the back end will
> push in any direction, with it's four catering wheels rather than using the
> mains.  This will let you basically twist and move the airplane sideways,
> if necessary.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Nov 20, 2012, at 4:19 AM, Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Please keep in mind that while it appears on paper that the aircraft can
> be tilted to fit through the opening, physically doing so might be
> challenging - especially if the engine is installed. Be thinking about what
> kind of hoist you will need to do the job of lifting, rotating, and
> transporting +1200 pounds of 'slippery shaped' airplane through the
> opening.
>
> Best wishes to everyone for a warm and happy Thanksgiving!
>
> Scott Baker
>
> On Nov 19, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Reiff:
> Thanks for the measurements.  I am now confident that I can fit this
> through the opening.
>
>
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at lorenz.com> wrote:
>
>> ** **
>>
>> Clayton,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> It sounds like you're going to be able to clear your opening. Since you
>> asked, I went and measured my XL-RG. I'll post the dimensions here for
>> posterity.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> From aft strake-tip to aft strake-tip it measured 141 3/4 inches. My
>> strakes are 8  5/16" tall at that point. The plane will be a few inches
>> wider toward the front of the strakes. The outboard edge of the strakes is
>> 90 degrees to the main spar, but the spar is angled a few degrees aft on
>> each side, so the strake tips angle out a few degrees. The outboard side of
>> the strake is 18 ½ inches long. My trig is rusty (and I don't know the spar
>> angle) so I'm not sure how much the distance widens from the aft strake-tip
>> to the forward strake-tip.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Hope this helps.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> *Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH*
>>
>> Velocity XL-RG, 38% complete****
>>
>> Currently working on: Gluing the cowls together and then cutting them
>> apart.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> *The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar<https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=d3a73e710c719626dd353d3b101be90f>.
>> Available 24/7 for builders and owners:*
>>
>>
>> https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On
>> Behalf Of *Clayton Chase
>> *Sent:* Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:16 PM
>>
>> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Need some advice/measurements****
>>
>>  ** **
>>
>> I'd like to mount the engine in the basement although I'm not so sure how
>> much I want to run it in there even if I have a heat-capable exhaust pipe
>> running outside.   The nearest hangar I can afford that I could do any work
>> on the plane is about 50 minutes away, so I want to do everything I can at
>> home before I move the project.
>>
>> I called the factory and they say that it's exactly 12' wide and that the
>> main spar height plus perhaps 1/4" will be the vertical dimension I need to
>> worry about and it's less than 14", so with that and some minor
>> trigonometry I determined that I will be just fine.   I'd be able to get it
>> through my 7' high ceiling and 11' 1" width passage even if the spar was
>> 12' 6" long.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:*
>> ***
>>
>> How complete are you going to go in the basement?  Are you going to mount
>> the engine in the basement?
>>
>> Ask the factory if there is a layup plan that will allow you to glass in
>> the spar after the firewall and fuselage has been built.  You'd be building
>> strakes and baffles and spar after moving out of the basement.  ****
>>
>>
>> On 11/14/2012 12:33 PM, Clayton Chase wrote:****
>>
>> Hi, all.   The plans for my basement modification took a sad turn today,
>> the width of my opening to get the plane past one post has to be shrunk
>> from 12' to 11' 1".   The height there is 7'.    Am I going to run into
>> problems?
>>
>> Can someone tell me to the nearest 1/2" how wide the fueselage and
>> strakes are at the widest point?    How high are the ends of the strakes?
>> I'm assuming they are about 14" high but don't know exactly.
>>
>> Using several estimated heights of the strakes:
>> For 10" high I can handle a length of 12' 8.2"
>> For 14" high, I can only get a length of 12' 6.2"
>> For 18" high I can only a length of 12' 4.5" through
>>
>> This is cutting it a LOT closer than I like.
>>
>>
>>
>> ****
>>
>> _______________________________________________****
>>
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery****
>>
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose****
>>
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail****
>>
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html**
>> **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121120/3a115c0f/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list