REFLECTOR: First problem - Shipping!

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 03:49:29 CDT 2012


Tony Partain
Partain Trading Company, Inc.
2480 NW Shields drive
Bend Oregon 97701
800-774-0828begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 
800-774-0828end_of_the_skype_highlighting watts
541-330-0828begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 
541-330-0828end_of_the_skype_highlighting local
541-330-0831 fax

Give Tony Partain a call.  Explain the who, what, where of what you 
would like to do.

Crating is a big expense in both time and money.
Partain Transport has enclosed trailers to carry the kit without 
crating.  The company is licensed and has cargo insurance.
It would be a good idea however, to bundle the parts, including putting 
small parts in cardboard boxes.
If Tony can coincide your load with another kit delivery, he is able to 
discount the trucking price somewhat.

Scott B.

On 5/22/2012 11:49 PM, Clayton Chase wrote:
> So I've got the XL-FG kit now, but it's down in California near LA and
> I'm up in Seattle.   I want to send the kit to the factory but am
> having some trouble finding a shipper, let alone crating the thing up.
>   I don't have the time available to drive it myself, unfortunately.
>
> My current plan is to fly down there this weekend with some power
> tools, rent a truck at Home Depot, load it up with plywood and other
> stuff as necessary and build a crate to hold the kit in it's entirety
> and tarp it up.   Let the kit sit outside in the previous owner's
> driveway until a shipper can come pick it up and take it to Florida
> for me.
>
> I'd like to pay less than $2,000 for the shipping, but the quotes I
> get depend a LOT on what I say I'm shipping.   If I give them the same
> weight and size, I get about $1800 if it's "Fiberglass pieces" but
> $3500 if it's "Fiberglass airplane pieces".   The National Motor
> Freight Classification system is not very easy to understand.
>
> I have a few questions I need help with:
>
> #1:  Is there anything better to do than build a big 16' x 6' x 6' box
> and ship it with absolutely everything inside?
> #2:  Does anybody have experience with a shipper that did a good job
> delivering a kit that they would recommend?
> #3:  If you ever shipped a kit, what NMFC class did you use?
>
> I'm open to ideas and recommendations.
>
>
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> Clayton Chase
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120523/2598ad44/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list