REFLECTOR: Cooling the engine

Ron Stacey rlstacey at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 09:53:15 CDT 2012


Ron,

 

I used the exhaust wrap on my Glasair for about 200 hours. Reduced oil temps
by about 20 degrees, less heat in the cowling. Over time, the wrap tends to
get brittle, then it starts to unravel and flake off in chunks. I replace it
twice. Makes a mess. I just had the inside and out of the exhaust system
ceramic coated at an auto speed shop for about $300. Maybe not quite as
effective but I don't have enough time on it to be sure. 

 

Ron Stacey

XLRG5

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Velocity XLFG
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 10:57 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Cooling the engine

 

Well I have to high engine temps and I am working on reducing them.

 

Exhaust wrap I have read that they are  good at keeps the heat out of the
cowling 

             Bad may cause a crack in the pipes any one tried this method 

with success of failure?

 

I have a two in to one exhaust that goes next to the oil pan .

First I was going to wrap the exhaust pipes but now I may consider 

making two straight pipes out of the engine instead of the two in to one.

My hope would be cooler engine. any thoughts. I did the two in to one

with the idea of reducing engine noise but if it is adding heat it must go.

 

Tried a few mods to the nacas. None helped most made it worse for 

cooling.  I had fans to help in cooling on the ground I removed them 

and it helped in the air but now I must get in the air  a little more
quickly now.

 

I was going to add a cowling flap I have heard this would help any thoughts?

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120327/ab38dc53/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list