REFLECTOR: Uneven Cylinder Cooling

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:15:16 CDT 2012


I tried deflecting the air coming down from the NACA scoops but it didn't 
seem to make much difference. Adjusting the air gap around the cylinders is 
what did it for me.

Do the cylinders need to be closer than 45 degrees between coldest and 
hottest? That's about where mine are.

I don't know about Lycoming, but ECI recommends that I keep the cylinder 
temps over 400 degrees during cruise. (My red line is 500.)  They said it 
keeps the engine clean and happy.

Doug Holub
Standard FG
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Richard J. Gentil" <richard at naples-air-center.com>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 1:02 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Uneven Cylinder Cooling


I'm about 20 hours into the flight testing of my SERG with the dual overhead 
NACA cooling plenum on a Lycoming IX-390-X and three bladed MT Prop.

I have added aluminum deflectors in the runners of the plenum to direct more 
air to the number 3 & 4 cylinders and made sure that the plenum does not 
have any air escaping around the outer edges of the cylinders but no luck so 
far.

Here are the numbers  getting on the engine:




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


>
>
> Richard
>
> Sent from my iPhone 4 Classic


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 



More information about the Reflector mailing list