REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat Restrictor plate reply

Jeff Howell jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:36:42 CST 2012



 



From: jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com
To: flykb at verizon.net
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat Restrictor plate reply
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:34:56 -0800





sorry for such a long reply time... There was a family issue on my wife's side of the family. I have not been able to make it to the airport but what I do know is that on my plane (remember it has two oil coolers 1:nose 2:through wing) I restricted the nose oil cooler (witch is first in series) down to a 3" circular whole all the way down at the foward lower corner of the plenum. This allows the incoming air to build up some pressure in turn slowing down the air through the eachanger while metering the plenum exhaust. 
  




Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat
From: flykb at verizon.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:44:39 -0600
To: jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com


Thanks or a drawing would work
:-)
Appreciate the effort .


Kevin Baker

.

On Jan 17, 2012, at 14:09, Jeff Howell <jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com> wrote:







I will try to stop by the plane and get a few pics... Jeff
 




Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat
From: flykb at verizon.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:25:58 -0600
To: jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com


What did it look like?
I would like to try it also?
Can you elaborate or draw a pic of what the restrictive shape was.
I see regular 210-220 temps and would love to try it.


Thank you
Kevin Baker

.

On Jan 17, 2012, at 11:27, Jeff Howell <jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com> wrote:







The restrictor plate was on the exhaust of the oil cooler. I basically took a piece of aluninum and mounted it inside of the plenum to restrict the outgoing air. Hope my 2 cents helped... Thanx Jeff
 




From: ruben at vainneg.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 01:02:23 -0500
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat







Jeff, 
 
Interesting. I guess that if the air moves too fast then there is not time for it to absorb heat. You said you slowed down with the restrictor plate. Where did you place the restrictor plate? What’s it shape?
 
Ruben
 




From: Jeff Howell [mailto:jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com] 
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:39 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat
 

It is very possible to take 0 deg air and worm it up into the 90s or 100s. It is as simple as how fast is the air flowing through the heat exchanger. At NASA we do lots of experiments that have to do with air flow and heat exchangers. The problem my velo had was the air was flowing to fast though the exchanger thus causing the air NOT to be saturated with heat. I then slowed down the air flow to about half the exhaust size and wala I had hot air and lower temps??? I know it sounds weird but on mine it worked. On the same day I flew for an hour it was 95deg out side my oil temp was 205.... After landing I put the restrictor plate in an flew again....The temp went from 205 down to 185..... I then left the restriction in and have flown when it is below freezing at 2550ft in elev. and the cabin stays worm especially my feet. Both my heaters (the exhaust muff and the front naca) keep the plane at a comfortable temp. sometimes even hot. They both blow quite a bit of air and I believe there is plenty of ventilation through the gaps in the retract system for the air to escape...Jeff 




From: bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:01:04 -0600
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

If you are bringing in outside air that cold, there is no chance in  &%$% that is will heat the air up.    The stock heater set up works great if you are taking outside air and raising it 20-30 degrees.    Most of us in the “North” where we fly at -10F during the winter have changed to oil coolers in the cabin and we recirculate cabin air –not outside air-- through the oil coolers.  Works great and on cold days keeps the cabin around 60-70.   Oil cooler works best up front, but also can work as flat heat exchangers under seats or in the rear of the cabin.     My plane still exits air out the back of the cabin so I used the oil cooler in the nose.     It won’t burn your feet like some of the Piper muff heaters, but you also won’t die from carbon monoxide poisoning.
 

Bill Stockman
Senior Associate
Dayton Aerospace, Inc.
 
937.426.4300  Office
937.369.4799  Cell
bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
www.daytonaero.com
 


From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Ruben Creus
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:36 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat
 
Hi all,
 
When I am flying below 0 Celsius outside temperature, the oil cooler seems to not heat enough the air coming into the cabin. The other day at -12C outside it was very chill in the cabin. I heard some of you partially cover the cooler, but not sure if the can be risky if covered too much. Has any one had any experience trying to get more cabin heat?
 
Ruben
 

_______________________________________________ To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________ To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120124/761e4f71/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list