REFLECTOR: Getting close...couple questions
Darrell & Nora Kufalk
kufalk at wi.rr.com
Mon Jan 9 21:58:12 CST 2012
My FSDO guy who signed my airworthy certificate required me to fill each
tank to the top to determine exactly how much they would hold. Then I had
to label them with the correct capacity. To calibrate the fuel gauges,
follow the gauge maker recommendations. My Dynon SkyView had me add fuel in
2 gallon increments and press a button each time until full. I blocked off
each tank and did one at a time. I marked my sight gauges in 5 gallon
increments.
Darrell (AKA Miss February)
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Geoff Gerhardt
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:35 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Getting close...couple questions
I had a great weekend at the hangar where I finished up a few major jobs.
Got my panel back in and buttoned down. Retractable gear works perfectly
now. One job that I'd been avoiding is replacement of the gas spring that
assists emergency deployment of the nose gear. The spring that was in there
had gotten weak and was taking forever to push the nose gear over center.
But, wow, what an ordeal to replace that. My arms look like I've been
fighting cats as they're all scratched up from reaching into the keel. Its
done, tho. I hope it doesn't need replacing for another 10 yrs.
I also re-checked my fuel system now that its fully plumbed - found a couple
minor leaks that I fixed.
So, next weekend, I will likely call the fuel truck over. I have a couple
questions. What's the best way to calibrate the fuel tank levels? I have
capacitance fuel sensors as well as sight gauges. What I'm thinking is that
I'll get one tank filled up in increments to allow calibration, then use a
fuel pump to pump it over to the other tank and calibrate that one. Then,
open up the vents and sump connections to allow them to equalize. I'm
thinking it would be best not to have full tanks for first taxi tests and
takeoff. Or, am I over thinking this - should I just fill both tanks to the
brim?
Secondly, for first engine start, I would like to leave the prop off to
allow for close inspection of the engine while its running to adjust idle or
look for leaks without getting my head chopped off. Is there any issue
running the engine for brief periods without a prop (IO360)?
Thanks.
Geoff
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120109/a1147aa4/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list