REFLECTOR: Getting close...couple questions

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Jan 9 21:25:53 CST 2012


I have a friend with a C210.  He flew over with a full set of tanks, and 
I drained fuel from his bird, and put it into mine while doing weight 
and balance.  Five gallons at a time per tank, and calibrated the sight 
gauges.  After I was finished, I pumped the fuel back into his plane.

 From empty to full, the CG travels in an arc with the fuel load.

On 01/09/2012 06:35 PM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote:
> I had a great weekend at the hangar where I finished up a few major 
> jobs.  Got my panel back in and buttoned down.  Retractable gear works 
> perfectly now.  One job that I'd been avoiding is replacement of the 
> gas spring that assists emergency deployment of the nose gear.  The 
> spring that was in there had gotten weak and was taking forever to 
> push the nose gear over center.  But, wow, what an ordeal to replace 
> that.  My arms look like I've been fighting cats as they're all 
> scratched up from reaching into the keel.  Its done, tho.  I hope it 
> doesn't need replacing for another 10 yrs.
>
> I also re-checked my fuel system now that its fully plumbed - found a 
> couple minor leaks that I fixed.
>
> So, next weekend, I will likely call the fuel truck over.  I have a 
> couple questions.  What's the best way to calibrate the fuel tank 
> levels?  I have capacitance fuel sensors as well as sight gauges. 
>  What I'm thinking is that I'll get one tank filled up in increments 
> to allow calibration, then use a fuel pump to pump it over to the 
> other tank and calibrate that one. Then, open up the vents and sump 
> connections to allow them to equalize.  I'm thinking it would be best 
> not to have full tanks for first taxi tests and takeoff.  Or, am I 
> over thinking this - should I just fill both tanks to the brim?
>
> Secondly, for first engine start, I would like to leave the prop off 
> to allow for close inspection of the engine while its running to 
> adjust idle or look for leaks without getting my head chopped off.  Is 
> there any issue running the engine for brief periods without a prop 
> (IO360)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Geoff
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120109/4d7aa969/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list