REFLECTOR: Getting close...couple questions

Patrick Sieders pjsieders at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 19:08:28 CST 2012


Unless you want to damage your engine, do use a prop on the engine.. it’s an essential piece and really should not be in your way if you take all the cowling off.

Patrick

From: Douglas Holub 
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 7:01 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Getting close...couple questions

I thought the engine needed the prop's inertia/momentum to run. Is that true?
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Geoff Gerhardt 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 7:35 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Getting close...couple questions

  I had a great weekend at the hangar where I finished up a few major jobs.  Got my panel back in and buttoned down.  Retractable gear works perfectly now.  One job that I'd been avoiding is replacement of the gas spring that assists emergency deployment of the nose gear.  The spring that was in there had gotten weak and was taking forever to push the nose gear over center.  But, wow, what an ordeal to replace that.  My arms look like I've been fighting cats as they're all scratched up from reaching into the keel.  Its done, tho.  I hope it doesn't need replacing for another 10 yrs. 

  I also re-checked my fuel system now that its fully plumbed - found a couple minor leaks that I fixed. 

  So, next weekend, I will likely call the fuel truck over.  I have a couple questions.  What's the best way to calibrate the fuel tank levels?  I have capacitance fuel sensors as well as sight gauges.  What I'm thinking is that I'll get one tank filled up in increments to allow calibration, then use a fuel pump to pump it over to the other tank and calibrate that one. Then, open up the vents and sump connections to allow them to equalize.  I'm thinking it would be best not to have full tanks for first taxi tests and takeoff.  Or, am I over thinking this - should I just fill both tanks to the brim?

  Secondly, for first engine start, I would like to leave the prop off to allow for close inspection of the engine while its running to adjust idle or look for leaks without getting my head chopped off.  Is there any issue running the engine for brief periods without a prop (IO360)?

  Thanks.

  Geoff



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1901 / Virus Database: 2109/4732 - Release Date: 01/09/12
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120109/bf00f646/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list