REFLECTOR: Fuel system design

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 20 09:43:05 CST 2012


I used aluminum lines Most of the way. I left a 4" area just before the sump. While building and ground testing, I have put those clear glass racing filters in there to clean things up Before it reaches the sump, Airflow Performance filter and flowmeter. Before first flight, I will replace these filters with a 4" stretch of Goodyear fuel hose. 

Seemed to make sense to me at the time :) 
 Kurt 



-----Original Message-----
From: Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at lorenz.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, Feb 20, 2012 7:58 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel system design



 
Nick,
 
That's very helpful. I thought I might need 2 flow sensors (one on each tank, or one on the fuel line and one on the return), but it sounds like I only need one, and I don't need to worry about it until I have an engine.
 
Did you use aluminum tubing or flexible hoses between the tanks and the sump?
 
Thanks!
 
Reiff Lorenz
XL-RG, 30% done
 
 
 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Jones Nick
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 8:39 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel system design

 
The return line is at the engine driven fuel pump, before the sensor. All the fuel going through the sensor is getting burned, none is being returned to the tank.
 

Best regards,
 
Nick and Connie Jones
Velocity XL-RG
N10CN
99% done 90% to go

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Alex Balic
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 6:35 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel system design

 
You need another sensor somewhere on the return line, most equipment can calculate the difference (Dynon, GRT, JPI)
 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Jones Nick
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 3:42 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel system design

 
I am installing an IO-550 N27B engine from a Cirrus SR22. The fuel flow sensor is attached to the inter cylinder baffle support between #1 and #3 cylinders inline just before the throttle body. In this location, only the fuel that is consumed by the engine is measured. The fuel that is returned to the sump tank is not part of the measurement. 

 
I figure that there are thousands flying and this is a good location for them so it’s good enough for me.
 
I would not use hose for your interior fuel lines as they are permeable and will require replacing after 5 years.
 

Best regards,
 
Nick and Connie Jones
Velocity XL-RG
N10CN
99% done 90% to go

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Reiff Lorenz
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 3:10 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Fuel system design

 
 
Reflector,
 
I will want to start plumbing my fuel and vent system soon, but have many questions. I'd appreciate any advice you have.
 
1.       Should I use aluminum tubing and flaired connections, as described in the plans? Or would flexible hoses & compression fittings work better? Are there other solutions? I'm looking for the easiest installation and maintenance.
2.       For monitoring fuel flow: What brand of fuel flow sensor should I use? Should there be 2 separate sensors, one between each strake tank and the sump? (I will be installing a Continental 550, so there will be a fuel line to the engine and a fuel return from the engine.)
3.       What's the best resource for learning how to bend/flair/connect/secure the fuel lines. I flipped through 2 of the Bingellis books and did not find much good information. I have not yet checked his engine books . . . maybe there's more info in those.
 
Thanks for any help you can provide!
 
Reiff Lorenz
XL-RG, 30% done
wings/canard/strakes/fuselage structure complete
Still to do: install fuel system, controls, hydraulics, electrical system, engine, interior, avionics, sand, prime, paint, fly
 


_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120220/f9572149/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 71860 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120220/f9572149/attachment-0001.jpeg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list