REFLECTOR: Turbo concerns

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 20:50:45 CDT 2012


Hi Chris,
I would say to look at two things: 1) Turbo waste gate setting and 2) MP
sender or guage.
I don't know what MP PSI the 3lb spring on the wastegate controller equals,
but it sounds low. I just installed a manual wastegate on the family trip
wagon, a 1998 6.5TD Suburban and the spring tension is much more than 3
lbs, more like 15 to 20lbs to open, is set in inches of spring span and
equals 14PSI MP to open. I would think you should start with investigating
the wastegate settings first.

Mark Magee
N34XL
Brady TX

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Chris Barber <cbarber at texasattorney.net>wrote:

>
> As I have mentioned I have had what I think are incongruent readings
> regarding my manifold pressure (mp)and engine rpm. It seems I am getting
> quite low mp as I add power to higher rpm.
>
> I am not well versed in this area but my thought is that as I add power,
> even with slight boost (currently using a 3 lb spring in my wastegate)
> eventually my mp should raise a bit more.
>
> Today I did some static test. I recorded engine RPM with the  turbo hooked
> up and recorded the mp at 1000 rpm increments. Then I removed the turbo
> plumbing from my intake and recorded the same info My results currently
> confuse me.
>
> With the turbo hooked up I am getting
>
> RPM.   MP inches
> 2000 - 14.0
> 3000 - 15.5
> 4000 - 19.3
> 5000 - 21.6
> 5700 - 24.5 (topped out)
>
> With the turbo removed.
>
> 2000 - 15.8
> 3000 - 15.3
> 4000 - 19.7
> 5000 - 24.8
> 5833 - 29.8
>
> Is this indicative of restriction in my plumbing? Perhaps in the inter
> cooler? A dirty air filter? A bad pop off valve or a leak not allowing the
> air pressure getting to the intake. Or????
>
> I am uncertain what other permitters I need to check and provide. I am
> just starting my diagnosis in my Phase One testing. I only have 1.6 hours
> in the air so far. I value ya'll's direction and input.
>
> Heck, perhaps this is working properly but it just doesn't seem
> right/comfortable.
>
> Thanks folks.
>
> Chris Barber
> Houston
> Velocity SE
> Rotary 13b turbo (?) :-)
>
> Sent from my iPhone 4
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120820/27c9a008/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list