REFLECTOR: Turbo concerns

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Aug 20 20:32:33 CDT 2012


Are you saying that you are not boosting with the turbo installed?  If 
that is the case, your numbers look fine.

If you claim you are boosting, then the numbers do not agree with with 
your claim.  wire the wastegate closed and very carefully start the 
engine.  Don't get a lot of RPM's because there's no control.  Just 
verify your boost.

What's your configuration?  I assume turbo -> intercooler -> throttle -> 
manifold, since you say you removed the turbo plumbing.

On 08/20/2012 08:18 PM, Chris Barber wrote:
> As I have mentioned I have had what I think are incongruent readings regarding my manifold pressure (mp)and engine rpm. It seems I am getting quite low mp as I add power to higher rpm.
>
> I am not well versed in this area but my thought is that as I add power, even with slight boost (currently using a 3 lb spring in my wastegate) eventually my mp should raise a bit more.
>
> Today I did some static test. I recorded engine RPM with the  turbo hooked up and recorded the mp at 1000 rpm increments. Then I removed the turbo plumbing from my intake and recorded the same info My results currently confuse me.
>
> With the turbo hooked up I am getting
>
> RPM.   MP inches
> 2000 - 14.0
> 3000 - 15.5
> 4000 - 19.3
> 5000 - 21.6
> 5700 - 24.5 (topped out)
>
> With the turbo removed.
>
> 2000 - 15.8
> 3000 - 15.3
> 4000 - 19.7
> 5000 - 24.8
> 5833 - 29.8
>
> Is this indicative of restriction in my plumbing? Perhaps in the inter cooler? A dirty air filter? A bad pop off valve or a leak not allowing the air pressure getting to the intake. Or????
>
> I am uncertain what other permitters I need to check and provide. I am just starting my diagnosis in my Phase One testing. I only have 1.6 hours in the air so far. I value ya'll's direction and input.
>
> Heck, perhaps this is working properly but it just doesn't seem right/comfortable.
>
> Thanks folks.
>
> Chris Barber
> Houston
> Velocity SE
> Rotary 13b turbo (?) :-)
>
> Sent from my iPhone 4
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list