REFLECTOR: Who was that guy and a door fix question

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 18:18:08 CDT 2012


Don, 

Didn't like mine either. I could not accept seeing a nice V on the ramp with the rear door area warped. 

I did several things to fix it, and it works fine. Only negative is I lost about 4" of upward travel on the door. Works for me... cause Im short :) 

If you don't hear of a newer & better method, let me know and I will let you know the steps I took. 

Kurt 



-----Original Message-----
From: Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net>
To: reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thu, Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm
Subject: REFLECTOR: Who was that guy and a door fix question


My apologies to the offended party...

A while back I swapped email with a builder in So Cal. I said that I would stop by when I was in the area.

But I can't find the email and I don't remember the name.

So if you're in the LA area and remember exchanging mail with me, please get in touch. 

Next topic:

I simply can't accept the door issue. And by that I mean getting the door to align. Currently, my doors align just fine... until I put the gas strut on. Then it just sucks!

I've tried the Hangar 18 gas strut bracket and the current Velocity mounting method. Both cause the same problem (but in opposite directions) of preventing the door from closing without manually pushing the door either fore or aft to get it closed the last couple inches. I've determined that it seems to be caused by the hinge pads (specifically, the rear one) flexing when closed and under pressure from the gas strut.

The latest thing I've tried is reinforcing the hinge pad area with multiple layers of carbon fiber to try and stiffen it to prevent the flex. But that didn't help.

Just wondering if anyone has come up a solution?

Thanks,
Don


_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120426/3958ef22/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list