REFLECTOR: Who was that guy and a door fix question

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:55:55 CDT 2012


Don,

I thought this was going to be a real problem as well the first time I put
my door springs on. I was thinking of reducing the spring pressure or
finding a different way to mount the springs.  But, once I put the "U" trim
around the doors, the door seemed to close much easier without needing an
aft tug to counteract the torque the spring was putting on the door.  I
think once the U trim is on, the door aligns with ( (is guided into) the
door gap easier as its closing.

Geoff

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:

> My apologies to the offended party...
>
> A while back I swapped email with a builder in So Cal. I said that I would
> stop by when I was in the area.
>
> But I can't find the email and I don't remember the name.
>
> So if you're in the LA area and remember exchanging mail with me, please
> get in touch.
>
> Next topic:
>
> I simply can't accept the door issue. And by that I mean getting the door
> to align. Currently, my doors align just fine... until I put the gas strut
> on. Then it just sucks!
>
> I've tried the Hangar 18 gas strut bracket and the current Velocity
> mounting method. Both cause the same problem (but in opposite directions)
> of preventing the door from closing without manually pushing the door
> either fore or aft to get it closed the last couple inches. I've determined
> that it seems to be caused by the hinge pads (specifically, the rear one)
> flexing when closed and under pressure from the gas strut.
>
> The latest thing I've tried is reinforcing the hinge pad area with
> multiple layers of carbon fiber to try and stiffen it to prevent the flex.
> But that didn't help.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has come up a solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Don
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120426/b49a1784/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list