REFLECTOR: Altitude

Jim & Sharon Beck jsbeck618 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 09:52:19 CDT 2011


Hi Rueben
I have a 173 RG with an IO360 200 HP and have made numerous trips back to
the Midwest and to Colorado Springs. Usually at fairly high GW as my  wife &
I have luggage for extended visits.  We normally fly VFR at 13500 to 15500
but have been up to 18000
to find smooth air at times,  we use portable oxygen, the Mountain high
system and if I were to buy again I would get the one that automatically
meters and only puffs when you inhale, (tanks last much longer ) but this
would probably not be cost effective if you dont normally fly high
altitudes, I also find below 13500 in many areas it is dificult to keep
flight following VFR. Climb at gross is quite slow at 15 & above 2 to300
FPM. I try to plan my trips so as not to make high altitude refueling stops
in the heat of the day.
Salt lake area heading west is only about 4000 feet with no mountains
immediately after takeoff, heading east you would have to clear mountains
quite soon so I usually refuel going east some where like Casper Wyoming,
5000 ft and no more high mountains.
hope this helps, We have almost 500 hours on our V and most of it at high
altitude.
Jim

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Ruben Creus <ruben at vainneg.com> wrote:

> **
>
> Hi all, ****
>
> ** **
>
> I am planning a trip to the West coast from the East coast and it happens
> the **Rocky Mountains** are in the between. I have a SE-FG with an IO-360
> 180HP. I wonder if anyone has any experience climbing to 16,000ft (the max.
> ceiling) with this type of configuration and what performance is to expect
> climbing and cruising at that altitude. I can climb fine to 9,000ft or
> 10,000ft but never gone above. I have also looked at the Aerox oxygen
> system, it seems very compact. The other issue would be taking off at fields
> that are at 7,000ft. Certainly they have long runways.****
>
> ** **
>
> So, I wonder if there is anyone in that area who could share their
> experience in this type of adventure.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks.****
>
> ** **
>
> Ruben Creus****
>
> N21VA ****
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110915/b5ebc997/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list