REFLECTOR: Aileron Rigging
Geoff Gerhardt
geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 09:11:35 CDT 2011
Alex,
I was just rigging mine this weekend. I started at a similar position and
after a few hours I had them both equalized with 2 3/8" up/down travel.
Give me a call this evening and I'll tell you the process I went through.
Baically, the primary thing you need to focus on to start is getting your
control line to aileron bellcrank angle to be 90deg when the ailerons are
clamped neutral. That will give you the longest travel possible. If either
side does not have symmetric displacement, extend/retract either of the heim
joints for that side that connect to the bellcranks to lengthen/shorten the
cable.
One good thing about working on this was that I was wrenching pretty hard on
the aileron bell cranks to ensure I was hitting the control stick stops. As
a result of these multiple hard excursions to the stick stops, I was able to
reveal some looseness in a couple of the keel torque tube joints. Those
would have probably worked themselves out in flight at some point.
Send me an email (geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com).
Geoff
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Alex Balic <velocity_pilot at verizon.net>wrote:
> For all those that have been here and solved this fun Geometry puzzle:
>
> I have just been around to checking my flight control throws, since
> hopefully they will be put to actual use soon, and my ailerons are a bit
> out
> of adjustment-
> Symptom: Both ailerons have 4" of throw (as measured at the inboard end)
> but
> the right one has "normal" movement with 2-1/2" inches down, and 1-1/2
> inches up. But the left side is exactly the opposite, with more throw up
> than down.
>
> 1) both ailerons are exactly neutral with stick neutral.
> 2) both aileron control arms are at the same angle with respect to the
> wing/aluminum brackets when neutral.
> 3) stick throw seems to be identical right and left, but I don't think that
> any slight difference in this would cause this particular problem.
>
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the horn on the keel end of the
> aileron torque tube is not exactly aligned with the stick,- I was not able
> to directly measure this yesterday since there is a lot of stuff back
> there.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Alex
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110906/ecac9f08/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list