REFLECTOR: Holes in the Spar

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Mar 10 19:51:59 CST 2011


A few round holes (say ¾” dia or less) in the spar web, spaced many
diameters apart are not an issue.

 

Al

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:01 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Holes in the Spar

 

I wasn't comfortable putting holes in the spar either. The only exception I
made was the center attach bolts for the motor mount. (Those have a bushing
glassed into the firewall/sheer web so that it does not crush).  

 

The silver thing hanging across the spar straddles the spar. On the front
side is my ignition stuff, on the aft side is the power pack for the strobes
& such. 

 

Moves the weight forward while keeping all that stuff out of the engine bay
& cooler. 

 

Pic Here:

 

http://tinypic.com/r/nxm9z9/7

 

 

 

 

 

Kurt

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Prock <jackprock at wavecable.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thu, Mar 10, 2011 10:39 am
Subject: REFLECTOR: Holes in the Spar

Hi,

 

With the pictures of the ELT installation going around, some of the pictures

show stuff attached to the inside of the main spar. Are you using screws

or bolts that go into or through the spar? I thought that was a no-no.

 

With that in mind, I am starting on the engine installation and want to
drill

holes through the firewall for attaching the oil cooler, etc. I am working
around

the spar and XL sump tank, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of real estate
to 

attach things.

 

What is the concensus? is it ok to put a few holes in the spar? 

 

Is it ok to put bolts in the firewall behind the sump tank? with bolt heads
against

the sump tank? I would remove the sump tank drill the hole, put

the bolt in, then replace the sump tank. But this would place the

bolt head flush against the back of the sump, and I forsee long term

vibration rubbing a hole in the tank. 

 

Am I being overly cautious?

 

Jack

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110310/9ebd5ad3/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list