REFLECTOR: Holes in the Spar

Kathy Cook gansehaut at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 17:23:36 CST 2011


Jack, do not put holes in the spar...even  better if you limit the holes in the 
engine bulk head to as few as possible.  With your foamfilled bulkhead , 
probably the best solution, other than a hole, is to glue/laminate the bolts 
that you need for attaching things in the engine compartment with structual 
adhesive to the bulkhead.  certainly it wouldn't be a good idea, in my opinion, 
to have the bolt heads on the inside of the firewall bulk head where they could 
touch the sump tank.  However, you might have enough space to move the sump tank 
forward a little and clear the bolt head and clear the gear legs.questions call 
me





 



________________________________
From: Jack Prock <jackprock at wavecable.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thu, March 10, 2011 9:39:06 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Holes in the Spar


Hi,ee
 
With the pictures of the ELT installation going around, some of the pictures
show stuff attached to the inside of the main spar. Are you using screws
or bolts that go into or through the spar? I thought that was a no-no.
 
With that in mind, I am starting on the engine installation and want to drill
holes through the firewall for attaching the oil cooler, etc. I am working 
around
the spar and XL sump tank, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of real estate to 
attach things.
 
What is the concensus? is it ok to put a few holes in the spar? 
 
Is it ok to put bolts in the firewall behind the sump tank? with bolt heads 
against
the sump tank? I would remove the sump tank drill the hole, put
the bolt in, then replace the sump tank. But this would place the
bolt head flush against the back of the sump, and I forsee long term
vibration rubbing a hole in the tank. 
 
Am I being overly cautious?
 
Jack


      
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110310/191fc002/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list