REFLECTOR: Water Injection

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 06:01:00 CST 2011


Jerry, 
Thanks. I'll go study Brett's configuration. After 500 hours in a Lon EZ years ago I notice that community has gone to an exhaust system for ground operation scavenging. I was hoping I could employ this on the Velocity. Sounds like what you're talking about.
Mark
Velocity N34XL 
XLFG 300 HP
Brady TX

Mark B. Magee
Sent from IPhone 4

On Dec 12, 2011, at 3:46 PM, <jerry at jlbent.com> wrote:

> One other thing to look into is the cooling air exit.  I don't believe the cowl openings are a very effective solution.  Observation suggests that the air in the exit area is not moving away very well.  The usual exhaust exits may provide some relief, but it does not appear that there is a good way to get air out of the cowl.  I know that some work was done on a Cozy that shows that "bow wave" exists up to about mid-cowl.  It would seem that getting the air into the plenum and then back around and out the exit will be full of turbulence and then hit a bow wave of high pressure in front of the prop.
>  
> Of course my only hands on experience is with Brett 44VF which has an augmentor style exhaust tubs.  His original flights (first 50 hrs) had very nice engine temps.  I attribute that to his additional cowl exit tubes and the pumping action of the exhaust stack within the tube.
>  
>  
> Jerry Brainard
> Jerry at JLBEnt.com
> 
> 
> -------Original Message-------
> From: Mark Magee 
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Water Injection
> Sent: Dec 09 '11 2:25pm
> 
> Brian,
> I have a laundry list of things to go through on my overheating; timing, vernatherm, VG's before cooling NACA's, sealing better the cylinder plenums to begin with. I brought up the H2O injection should I remain warm after all those items are checked/corrected.
> 
> Mark B. Magee
> Sent from IPhone 4
> 
> On Dec 9, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:
> 
>  
>> Ah.  In that case, I think it's a really cool idea.
>> 
>> I actually have another idea that is very risky, bordering on the insane, that would be used to cool oil temperatures.
>> 
>> During the normal combustion of fuel, the byproducts are CO2 and water.  Now, a portion of that water makes it into our oil, where it is boiled off when the engine reaches operating temperature.  So, if there's already water in the oil, how bad could it be to add a little bit more?
>> 
>> The idea would be to have a really high pressure water injection system, let's say 2,000 PSI, with an atomizing nozzle that is able to deliver droplets in the micron range.  If this nozzle were installed to the crank cover (the Franklin has one) at the top of the engine, the water should never actually make contact with the engine oil.  It should instantly flash to vapor, consuming heat in the process, and then get ejected out the crankcase ventilating tube.  I suppose an al! ternate solution would be a cover specially made into a water jacket that sacrifices water boiling to the atmosphere, allowing the heat to be removed that way.
>> 
>> Actually, now that I think about it compared to conventional water injection, it's probably no more hazardous than squirting it into the hot side of the cylinder.  In my case, it would be nice to be able to sit on the taxiway without having to worry about overheating before takeoff.  For your case, you need it to cool in flight.
>> 
>> I don't recall; did you ever try retarding your timing to see if that helped?
>> 
>> On 12/9/2011 12:57 PM, Mark Magee wrote:
>>> 
>>> Plane flying. Getting hot. I posted a month ago about my over temp issues.
>>> 
>>> Mark B. Magee
>>> Sent from IPhone 4
>>> 
>>> On Dec 9, 2011, at 12:53 PM, Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> I think a better benefit would be as an octane booster.  Perhaps you would even be able to run mogas in your IO540.
>>>> 
>>>> It's all theoretical at this point, whether it's in a Velocity or racer.  How practical would it be?  Perhaps its best to play with water injection after you are flying the plane?
>>>> 
>>>> On 12/8/2011 8:13 PM, Mark Magee wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> All,
>>>>> I am pondering whether it is worth considering installing a computer controlled water/ water/methanol injector on my IO540 angle valve purely for CHT reduction. I have used them in the past in autos with good effect, and studied their uses in other applications. The numbers these http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Naturally-Aspirated-Kits/c25/index.html folks post are in line with what water injectors can achieve from my past experience. Anyone used one on a Velocity/Canard/Flying aircraft?
>>>>> >From my initial calculations less than 2 gallons of water would climb a WOT 300 HP Velocity from sea level to over 12,000 MSL and then wouldn't be needed for descent in all liklihood. So a 6 gallon tank (in the keel?) would easily handle a long! cross country. In cold weather 50/50 water methanol I would think preclude induction icing, but you could always just turn it off it it was cold enough and you didn't need it.
>>>>> Just a thought, I am experimental :)
>>>>> They were OEM on turboed and supercharged aircraft in WWII. Thoughts?
>>>>> 
>>>>> Mark Magee
>>>>> N34XL XL FG 300HP
>>>>> Brady TX 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>> 
>>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>> 
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>> 
>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>> 
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>> 
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111213/ace7896f/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list