REFLECTOR: Franklin EGT
Laurence Coen
lwcoen at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:26:15 CDT 2011
Grover,
Peak power and peak cylinder head temp. occur at about 100F ROP EGT. Lean of peak will lower CHT. For the best stuff on engine management that I've seen, Google Pelican Perch and click on index for access to John Deakins' articles based on actual data.
Larry Coen
N136LC
From: Grover McNair
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:51 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin EGT
The key is to find the peak EGT. Then lean or richen accordingly. Usually 50 to 100 degrees F either side of peak. The EGT will come down on either side of peak. Fuel flow will go up Rich of Peak and down Lean of Peak. Monitoring cylinder head temp is important as well. Max for the Franklin is 392F. Running ROP will cool the cylinders while LOP tends to run hotter on the CHT. Running at peak will produce the most heat (and the most power). It also has the highest likelihood of causing detonation.
I have just installed a JPI 740 engine monitor in N832AB. It is getting a conditional inspection and should be flying again soon.
Grover McNair
173FG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:29 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Franklin EGT
What EGT temps are others with Franklins seeing when running LOP? I used to see temps ranging from 450-550 C, but my sensors are strapped on the outside of the exhaust and I'm probably getting readings lower than actual. I recently moved them the the cylinder exhaust tubes which is closer to the cylinders. I expected to see higher readings, however the #6 EGT is running 580-650 C. Is that too high?
John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110825/7ede293c/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list