REFLECTOR: After 2 years of prep, I'm now a builder!

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 00:32:23 CDT 2011


I love the Bill Stockman story. We're all PR agents for the Velocity whether
we want it or not. Congrats on your decision to join the V family.

Dennis

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM, <nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:

> SWEET!  And, I think you have officially passed the 0% mark :)
>
> Kurt
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at lorenz.com>
> To: reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tue, Aug 2, 2011 3:33 pm
> Subject: REFLECTOR: After 2 years of prep, I'm now a builder!
>
>
> Reflector,
>
> After many years of preparation and planning, I'm now officially a Velocity
> builder! I bought a 1999 XL-RG kit from a pilot/builder who was transferred
> to China. Very little work was ever done on this kit, but it was stored
> well. It is a fast-built kit (according to the original invoice) but the
> fuselage halves were not joined by the factory (nobody can remember why.) It
> has the Brazilian hollow-core wings.
>
>  [Fast-built, with doors cut out, but halves not joined. Original delivery
> photos show it came this way from the factory.]
>
>  [My "new" project, temporarily stored in the garage while the workshop is
> completed.]
>
> I've been a member of the Reflector for 2 years. This group has been so
> helpful and supportive as I worked toward the start of my project . . .
> answering my newbie questions and providing advice on setting up my home
> workshop.
>  [Workshop almost complete. 22' x 32' interior with more lights than an
> NFL stadium.]
>
>
> I'd especially like to thank those Velocity builders who went out of their
> way to encourage my interest:
>
> ==> Two years ago I was at the local shopping center when Bill Stockman's
> SE flew over. It was the first actual Velocity I'd seen. I followed it (head
> out the car window driving down the highway!) to the airport and pelted him
> (and his wife Terri) with questions for 2 hours. He offered me a ride
> (perhaps hoping it would shut me up) and I was hooked!
>
> ==> Brett and Elizabeth Ferrell for their excellent web site and unending
> hospitality. They are unfortunate enough to live nearby and I have spent
> many hours at their hangar impairing their progress while learning a lot.
> The two of them and their beautiful XL gave the proof my wife and I needed
> that a couple can build and fly an aircraft in less than a decade and stay
> married.
>
> ==> Jerry and Linda Brainard for constant encouragement of a builder
> wanna-be. The first time I visited their plane they sent me home with a
> trunk-full of tools that every builder needs just once; telling me I was
> obligated to use them and then pass them on. They were sure I was going to
> build a Velocity before I was!
>
> ==> Andy and Theresa Millin, who welcomed my wife and me into the
> AirVenture Velocity family last year when we were still just dreaming. Their
> workshop-addition-that-became-a-master-bedroom inspired our
> workshop-addition-that-will-become-a-gardening-center. They also gave me the
> best advice on the most important thing to accomplish your first year at
> Oshkosh: "Make sure your wife has fun. Otherwise you'll never be back." We
> couldn't make it this year, (busy buying the kit and finishing the workshop)
> but we'll definitely be back!
>
> ==> Duane and Scott Swing, Scott Baker, John Abraham, Ken Mishler, Victor
> Taylor and the many other Velocity builders and owners who were willing to
> endure hours of questions from yet another stranger who showed up to an
> event asking: What does it cost? How long would it take? How high can it
> fly? How would I get started? Do you really build it yourself? Fixed or
> retract? Is it safe? Why won't it stall? Aren't these used for smuggling?
> Who inspects it? Didn't Rutan build the first one? Why can't I paint it
> black? Continental or Lycoming? How many are never completed? Can it land on
> grass? What about epoxy allergy? Could I make it go faster? How much
> assistance is allowed? Does it fly like a 172? What about deep stalls? Will
> it take a Chevy V-8? Can I get insurance? How much space do I need for
> building? I have more questions, can I meet you at Oshkosh . . . ?
>
> And a big thank-you to everyone on the Reflector. The active builders'
> community is the biggest reason that I chose Velocity over Lancair. (OK,
> maybe cost and safety were issues, too.)
>
> For those other future builders who are lurking on the Reflector, keep
> working toward your dream.
>
> Now it's time for me to get building! (If only the workshop were done. And
> I need to order epoxy. Where to begin . . . )
>
> Reiff Lorenz
> XL-RG, N142AZ
> 0% done, 140% to go
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



-- 
All the best,
Dennis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110802/a226ee85/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 27392 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110802/a226ee85/attachment-0003.jpeg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 16327 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110802/a226ee85/attachment-0004.jpeg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 14240 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110802/a226ee85/attachment-0005.jpeg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list